1. I married into a Brahmin family, I am now a Brahmin: Sheila Dixit

I married into a Brahmin family, I am now a Brahmin: Sheila Dixit

Congress chief ministerial candidate for Uttar Pradesh Sheila Dikshit today asserted that she is now a Brahmin as she married into a Brahmin family, in a counter to Samajwadi Party leader Amar Singh's remark describing her as Punjabi.

By: | Bhadohi | Published: September 7, 2016 11:21 PM
"Amar Singh should know this fact. I am now a Brahmin," Sheila said. (Reuters) “Amar Singh should know this fact. I am now a Brahmin,” Sheila said. (Reuters)

Congress chief ministerial candidate for Uttar Pradesh Sheila Dikshit today asserted that she is now a Brahmin as she married into a Brahmin family, in a counter to Samajwadi Party leader Amar Singh’s remark describing her as Punjabi.

She said a woman is known through the family she is married into and she is Brahmin as she married a Brahmin person.

“Amar Singh should know this fact. I am now a Brahmin,” she said.

Singh, a Rajya Sabha MP, in a statement to a private news channel had stated that Dikshit is not Brahmin but a Punjabi who married into a Brahmin family.

Dikshit, a prominent Brahmin face of Congress, was chief minister of Delhi for three terms and is being projected by the party as the chief ministerial candidate for the Assembly elections in Uttar Padesh slated to be held early next year.

The Congress leader who arrived here for a “27 saal UP Behal” yatra also lashed out at the separatists in Kashmir for “attempting to divide the country” and called upon the government to resolve the situation in the Valley at the earliest.

as
    Sep 8, 2016 at 9:42 am
    So Vemula's mother married into OBC, so she is.. ?Indira hi married Parsi, so RG is...?
      Against Sick
      Sep 8, 2016 at 1:24 pm
      When you have parties like SP and Congress in the fray, what else can be expected in terms of level of discourse? Disgusting
      1. E
        Estee
        Sep 8, 2016 at 5:34 am
        I did not know Punjabi was a caste. All I know is Punjabis too have Brahmin caste just as people from other Indian states do.
        1. K
          Krishna
          Sep 8, 2016 at 5:18 am
          "a woman is known through the family she is married into"Why feminists are not crying now?
          1. Parminder Sadeora
            Sep 7, 2016 at 8:41 pm
            Punjabi is not a caste but Brahmin is. He may have meant she belonged to Punjab originally. But she has also been Delhi CM, so what.
              P M
              Sep 8, 2016 at 12:11 pm
              Sheilaji .. do you eat chicken , beef , lamb ..