Commemorating the birth of Sikh guru and the founder of Sikhism, Guru Nanak ji, believers around the world celebrate the Guru Nanak Jayanti or Gurpurab, which is held according to the lunar calendar on the ‘Karthik Purnima’. Born on April 15, 1469, at a Bedi Kshatriya family in Rai Bhoi di Talwandi village, now in Pakistan, Guru Nanak is one of the ten celebrated gurus among the Sikh gurus who had shaped the religion.
Unlike the birth anniversaries of other Sikh guru, the Guru Nanka Jayanti starts with a early morning procession (prabhat pheri) and with different hymns sung all over the day. With Guru Granth Sahib being read continuously for 48 hours, the celebration of the guru’s birth anniversary begins two days prior to the actual date. And with Sikhs all over the world set to celebrate the auspicious day, today, here are a few memorable, inspiring quotes by Guru Nanak:
1. “Those who have loved are those who have found God”
2. “Emotional attachment to Maya is very painful, this is a bad bargain”
3. “Let no man in the world live in delusion. Without a guru, no one can cross over to the shore”
4. “Death would not be called bad, O people, if one knew how to truly die”
5. “I am neither male nor female, nor am I sexless. I am the Peaceful One, whose form illuminates with power radiance.”
6. “Even kings and emperors with heaps of wealth and vast dominion cannot compare with an ant filled with the love of God”
7. “Dwell in peace in the home of your being, and the messenger of death will not be able to touch you.”
8. “I am not the born; how can there be either birth or death for me?”
9. “The production of children, the nurture of those born, and the daily life of men, of these matters, a woman is visibly the cause.”
10. “Speak only that which will bring you honor”.