Ghazipur landfill collapse in Delhi: At least two people are dead, including a girl while many others injured after a part of the landfill site in Ghazipur collapsed today. The incident took place at around 2.30 pm. Omvir Singh, DCP (east) Delhi, said a car and two motorbikes also fell into Kondli drain flowing near the garbage site. At least four people were rescued while many are fear trapped after the incident. The rescue and relief operations are on, police said. Delhi Police has confirmed a body had been recovered. East Delhi MCD mayor Neema Bhagat has confirmed the death of two people in the incident, as per Zee News. Bhagat also held Delhi government responsible for the poor maintenance of the site. On the other hand AAP leaders are blaming the BJP-controlled MCD and DDA, whose responsibility, they say, is to maintain this landfill area.
Watch the video here:
— NewsX (@NewsX) September 1, 2017
East Delhi Municipal Commissioner, Ranbir Singh said, “rescue operation is underway while reason of the incident can be ascertained only after investigation.” The incident has led to a huge traffic jam in the area. National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) has arrived in the spot and carrying out the rescue and large cranes are also pressed in to clear the trash. According to NDTV, the landfill site is the oldest in Delhi which came up in the year 1984. All the waste and garbage generated from east Delhi and central Delhi are dumped here. The residents have been complaining about it for years.