Much is being talked about filmmaker Karan Johar donating Rs 5 crore to the Army Fund. Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar while talking about Johar shelling out money for the fund said that donations ought to be made voluntarily and not “catching anyone’s neck.”
Johar accompanied by Producers’ Guild President Mukesh Bhatt met Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis at his home ‘Varsha’ on Saturday where Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) chief Raj Thackeray was also present. It was decided there that Thackeray listed out three conditions that filmmakers who worked with Pakistani actors have to comply with. These include a contribution of Rs 5 crore to the Army welfare fund.
Parrikar in a conversation with ANI said, “Army battle casualty fund is voluntary donation because many have been requesting us that they want to donate to jawans and martyrs. Its a voluntary donation and therefore we are not concerned with anyone demanding something to be donated to this.”
The Army Welfare Fund Battle Casualties was started as a centralised fund, to accept donations and contributions from organisations and individuals, and to be managed by the adjutant general branch of the Army. As per government sources, from mid-August when the fund was started, till last week, the Army Welfare Fund Battle Casualties had received donations worth around Rs 1.4 crore.