With Delhi pollution reaching toxic levels and citizens increasingly suffering from breathing and other related problems, even chemical pneumonia, the National Green Tribunal (NGT) has taken to task the Delhi and Punjab governments for not doing anything to improve the air that the people are breathing. Furious NGT members said, “If you had provided even Rs 1,000 to the farmers, they would not have burnt the agriculture wastage like this (NGT to Punjab govt). You have done nothing to control the situation of smog and pollution (NGT to Haryana govt). However, NGT vented most of the fury on the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) government in Delhi led by chief minister Arvind Kejriwal because days have passed by without any tangible solution being presented or implemented. In fact, the situation is so bad that Delhiites and even tourists are fleeing the city to go to areas in neighbouring states where they can breathe clean air. Here are 5 questions that NGT put to the governments under scrutiny in Delhi, Haryana and Punjab:
1. NGT slams Delhi Govt over smog and Pollution issue; asks what major step you have taken to curb the pollution.
2. Diwali crop burning are known factors, did you hold any meeting in Aug & Sept to prepare the state to tackle pollution? NGT to Delhi Govt
‘Delhi has been converted into a top class living Museum of the Holocaust’ -reporting from Chandni Choke.
— Harsh Goenka (@hvgoenka) November 8, 2016
3. You have any data that shows reduction of smog? Why are you sprinkling water through cranes and not helicopters? NGT to Delhi Govt
4. What major steps have you taken to reduce crop-burning?: NGT to Punjab government
5. How many machines have you provided to the farmers for agriculture waste disposals?: NGT to Punjab government