Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia on Saturday visited the hospital where over 300 girl students were admitted after they fell ill due to the toxic fumes that spread due to chemical leakage at a container depot near two schools in southeast Delhi’s Tughlakabad area. Manish Sisodia while addressing the media after meeting the girl students of Rani Jhansi School and Government Girls Senior Secondary School, asserted that the condition of the students is stable for now, though he also added that few students are facing problem while breathing and therefore they are kept under observation.
ANI quoted Sisodia as saying, “I spoke to doctors, who told me that the students were fine. I will visit the children soon in the hospital and have spoken to a few on the phone. I have also asked the DM (District Magistrate) to investigate. The students are being properly taken care of.” Sisodia said he has asked doctors to keep all the students under observation till the time they confirm the type of gas, due to which the students fell ill. He further added, the students of two schools have been affected by the toxic gas and therefore they have shut down all the schools for a day in the area. He requested parents and other people to not to panic and assured the government is also concerned about the health of the students. All required treatment will be provided to the girl students, he said.
— AAP Delhi Official (@aapdelhincr) May 6, 2017
Meanwhile, the Union health minister JP Nadda has formed a 5-member committee of AIIMS doctors to deal with gas leak incident. Nadda said the central government has instructed the hospitals to be ready to help all victims of Delhi gas leak incident.
Earlier in the day, as many as 300 students were admitted to four hospitals after a gas leaked from a container truck parked near a school in Delhi’s Tughlaqabad area. Soon the local police, National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), fire, and Centralised Ambulance and Trauma Services (CATS) teams reached the spot.