Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar today sought to clarify on the issue of Chinese incursion, saying, “The India-china border is not formally demarcated. There are areas where both sides have differing perceptions of LAC (Line of Actual Control).” “Barhoti in Uttarakhand is one such area. There was no incursion by Chinese troops, just transgression which has been settled,” Parrikar said in the Lok Sabha. “There is a well defined mechanism to settle such transgressions,” Parrikar added. The Defence Minister’s clarification comes after the Opposition today expressed concern over reports that Chinese troops had entered in Chamoli district of Uttarkhand.
The issue was raised by Congress leader Jyotiraditya Scindia who said People’s Liberation Army had transgressed the border on land and by air in Chamoli district earlier this month when its men stationed themselves 200 metres inside the Indian territory. Scindia went on to express surprise that the government had not chosen to clarify on the serious matter. SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav cautioned the government, stating that China is “dhokebaz desh” (deceitful country).
On Wednesday there were reports that Chinese troops recently violated the border and were seen camping along with arms. The incident took place on July 19, reports suggested. A team led by Chamoli District Magistrate and others including officials from ITBP had gone to that area, but were asked by Chinese troops to go back. The Chinese troops claimed that the area was their land. Uttarakhand CM Harish Rawat said this was “something to worry about” and hoped that the Centre will pay heed to his request for increased vigil.