Dawood Ibrahim is in Pakistan, but scared to call his kin in India for the last three years, his brother Iqbal Kaskar has told interrogators from the Intelligence Bureau and the Thane police’s crime branch. Kaskar was arrested by Thane police this week in Mumbai in a case of extortion. “Along with crime branch officials, Iqbal is also being questioned by the IB officials for the last two days and he has provided some vital information related to Dawood and his whereabouts,” PTI reported a senior official of Thane police. Earlier on Thursday, MNS chief Raj Thackeray had claimed that Dawood is cripled and he wants to return to India.
Kaskar was running Dawood’s extortion gang in Mumbai-Thane area. According to police, Kaskar and his associates had allegedly been threatening a prominent builder in Thane in Dawood’s name since 2013 and had extorted Rs 30 lakh and four flats from him. Kaskar was deported from the UAE in 2003.
Here we take a look at 10 new information that have come out about Dawood:
- According to police, Kaskar confirmed that his brother Dawood, who is wanted in several cases including the 1993 Mumbai blasts case, is in Pakistan.
- Kaskar said that Dawood is of late wary of calling his relatives or his men in India on phone for fear of tapping.
- Kaskar has spoken with his other brother, Anees Ibrahim, who lives with Dawood, only four or five times in the recent past.
- Kaskar’s revelation will help in the investigation of several cases registered against the members of Dawood gang in Mumbai, Navi Mumbai and Thane, according to police.
- Police say Dawood’s drug business has spread to Africa and even South America, while Kaskar looks after his ‘real estate business’ in Mumbai area.
- The crime branch has sent a team to Bihar to probe the present case, as the shooters hired to scare the complainant in Kaskar case had been hired from the the state.
- According to a report by Times of India, Kaskar provided 4-5 addresses used by Dawood in Pakistan to police. India’s dossier on the global terrorist to Pakistan had listed over nine addresses of Dawood in Karachi and other cities.
- On Thursday, Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) chief Raj Thackeray had claimed that the underworld don Dawood Ibrahim is keen to come back to India and is negotiating with the Centre, which wants to take credit for his return.
- Addressing a gathering during the launch of his official Facebook page, Thackeray said, “Dawood is now physically handicapped. Hence, he is keen on returning to India and he has been negotiating with the Union government as well. The government will bring him back just before the general elections and try to seek credit for it…I am not joking but it is the truth that you will realise later,” he said.
- “Once he is ready to return to India, the Narendra Modi government will blow its own trumpet over it. ..It will be a political move of the BJP,” he said. Thackeray added.