A magistrate’s court for CBI cases here today rejected IPS officer Satish Verma’s application, seeking a copy of the supplementary chargesheet, filed in the 2004 Ishrat Jahan encounter case.
Magistrate DR Vyas said as the court had not taken cognizance of the chargesheet, it could not give him a copy. The court had, in March, rejected Verma’s first application on the same ground.
The IPS officer, who had assisted the CBI in the probe of the case, had last week filed a fresh application, seeking a copy of the chargesheet, saying he wanted to ensure that the trial in the case began and concluded “expeditiously”.
While the first chargesheet was filed by the CBI in the court of Special CBI (Sessions) Judge in July 2013, a supplementary chargesheet was filed in February, 2014 in the magistrate’s court.
The Sessions Court had allowed Verma to inspect the first chargesheet, but on CBI’s appeal, the High Court had overturned the order.
Proceedings against the accused named in the second chargesheet — four officers of the Intelligence Bureau — are yet to start as the Centre has not given nod for their prosecution.
Verma had said he wanted to challenge the delay in grant of sanction so that the trial was expedited.
Mumbra-based college girl Ishrat Jahan (19), Javed Shaikh alias Pranesh Pillai, Amjadali Akbarali Rana and Zeeshan Johar were killed in an encounter with Gujarat police on the outskirts of Ahmedabad on June 15, 2004.
A special investigation team (SIT), constituted by the Gujarat High Court, had concluded that it was a “fake” encounter and handed over the case to the CBI.
The first chargesheet named seven police officers as accused, including IPS officers PP Pandey, DG Vanzara and GL Singhal.
Verma is presently serving on Central deputation in the north-east.