While briefing media on the raids conducted at the residence of former finance minister P Chidambaram’s son Karti, CBI said the searches at the majority of locations are still under process and some seizures have been made. The official confirmed that raids were conducted at 14 locations and Karti’s firm made ‘false claims’, reported news channel Times Now. “Raids currently underway, CBI team still present at locations. Documents being scrutinized,” CBI Joint Director V Vinayak was quoted saying by the channel.
The agency added that some hard disks and emails related to the case have been recovered as well. Vinayak also said that aby one who is involved in the matter will be investigated. “Have set process of investigation in motion; all people whose involvement comes forth, will be investigated,” he was quoted saying by news agency ANI.
You may also want to watch:
— TIMES NOW (@TimesNow) May 16, 2017
Earlier in the day, a case was registered against the former finance minister under section 120-B r/w, section 420, section 8 and section 13(2) r/w and 13 (1) (d) of Indian Penal Code (IPC). Reacting to this, the current Finance Minister Arun Jaitley while launching a new website for black money said the day of reckoning has come for many, reported news agency PTI. “People in high places buying assets via shell firms not a small matter,” he was quoted saying by the agency.
Reacting to the raids, Chidambaram earlier today was quoted saying by PTI, “The government, using the CBI and other agencies, is targeting my son and his friends. The government’s aim is to silence my voice and stop me from writing, as it has tried to do in the cases of leaders of opposition parties, journalists, columnists, NGOs and civil society organisations.”