Parliament Session LIVE: After the tabling of the Budget on February 1, both houses of Parliament were expected to convene business on Monday. However, the Lok Sabha has been adjourned for the day owing to the death of Hukum Singh, a member of Uttar Pradesh’s Kairana. The Rajya Sabha met a similar fate and got adjourned till 2 PM after witnessing a ruckus over the Noida encounter issue. When the Upper House resumed, the BJP chief Amit Shah made his debut speech at Rajya Sabha in which he slammed UPA for policy paralysis and praised the incumbent government’s push towards development. Leader of Opposition Ghulam Nabi Azad reponded to Shah’s speech. Meanwhile, the BJP-TDP friction has now reached the Parliament with the latter staging a protest at Mahatma Gandhi statue in Parliament urging the Centre to take steps to fulfil bifurcation promises and pending issues for Andhra Pradesh.
Coming to the Upper House, BJP national president Amit Shah, a first-time member, is expected to initiate a debate on the President’s speech in the Rajya Sabha. In his joint address to both houses on January 29, President Ram Nath Kovind supported the idea of simultaneous Lok Sabha and state assembly election, something that Prime Minister Narendra Modi is also keen on.
Track LIVE updates here:
- Speaker of the Upper House Venkaiah Nadu clarifies that BJP has been allotted a total time of 2 hours 49 mins, Congress – 2 hours 36 mins and Samajwadi Party 52 mins according to rules of the House, thus allowing Amit Shah’s long speech was not out of order. “Plus it was his maiden speech,” said Vice President Naidu.
- “I congratulate you on your maiden speech, Mr. Shah, but I am surprised you did not mention Sardar Patel in it,” said leader of Opposition Ghulam Nabi Azad. “You accused Congress of corruption but under your government, all were acquitted in the 2G case. We all believe in the law of the country and it has taken its course. These days, from the block level to the the highest points, these days you will get jobs only if you are a supporter of ruling party – this has never been the case earlier,” he added.
- Those living in Lutyens Zone will not understand the importance of toilets in every house: Amit Shah in Rajya Sabha
- BJP ne kabhi GST ka virodh nahi kiya tha, iske tarikon ka virodh kiya tha. UPA ye kar sudhar leke aayi, Cess ghatane se rajyon ko nuksaan hua, wo UPA ko chukana tha, par nahi chukaya. 37,000 crore NDA ne chukaya: Amit Shah in Rajya Sabha
- Puri duniya mein jitne bhi loktantra hai, un sab ki yojanaon ko koi khangal kar dekh le, 50 crore logon ko 5 lakh ka bima suraksha dena, kisi bhi sarkaar me ye saahas nahi hai. Isiliye, Ayaushman Bharat ko ab ‘Namo healthcare’ ke naam se ye janta jaanegi: Amit Shah in Rajya Sabha
- Government has brought two health schemes for the poor: Amit Shah in Rajya Sabha
- We have launched loan schemes without interests: Amit Shah in Rajya Sabha
Sarkaar ne jab kaam-kaaj sambhala, tab sarkaar ke paas virasat me kya tha? Jis prakaar ka gaddha tha, wo gaddha bharne mein hi sarkaar ka bahut saara samay gaya hai aur gaddha bharne ke baad in uplabhdhiyon ko ek alag najariye se dekhein: Amit Shah in Rajya Sabha pic.twitter.com/W9mY8IkOEV
— ANI (@ANI) February 5, 2018
- No government before us realised the pain of the poor: Amit Shah in Rajya Sabha
- UPA suffered from a policy paralysis. Government wants to give gas subsidy to the poor: Amit Shah in Rajya Sabha
- Development should reach everyone: Amit Shah in Rajya Sabha
- Amit Shah in Rajya Sabha: People gave a mandate to a party after 30 years.
- The TDP has been upset since the tabling of the union budget, alleging that the state has been ignored.
- TDP MPs held a silent protest in front of the Gandhi statue near the Parliament. SEE PIC
- Rajya Sabha adjourned till 2 pm after Samajwadi Party’s protest over ‘Noida fake encounter’ issue.
- Observing the protesting Samajwadi Party MPs, Rajya Sabha Chair M Venkaiah Naidu said: “You have just come to seek publicity.”
- Lok Sabha adjourned for the day after paying tribute to Kairana MP Hukum Singh who passed away on February 3.
- Samajwadi Party gives adjournment notice in Rajya Sabha on Noida fake encounter issue.