The BJP suffered its first defection after it decided not to field its sitting councillors for the upcoming civic polls, with its Govindpuri corporator Chandra Prakash today joining Congress. Prakash, who joined Congress at Rajiv Bhawan (the Delhi Pradesh Congress Committee office) here, however, denied that he left the BJP after the decision. He also claimed that he did not join Congress for MCD poll ticket. “I want to work for the residents, living in slums and unauthorised colonies, who have been denied houses by AAP government. I have not joined Congress for poll ticket,” he said. The ruling BJP has around 150 councillors and the party has decided not to give ticket any of them.
Sources said that the councillors were approaching the Congress and the Aam Aadmi Party in the hope of getting a ticket for the April 23 MCD elections. Following the BJP’s decision, a section of sitting councillors have decided to contest the civic body elections as independents as they feel that by denying ticket to them the BJP was “wrecking” their political career.
“I will contest as an independent and prove my worth to the party after winning the election,” said a senior South Delhi councillor, who did not wished to be named. Sources in the Congress claimed that many sitting BJP councillors had contacted senior party leaders Ajay Maken and PC Chacko.
“In the coming days, more such councillors may join the Congress,” said a senior Congress leader. Chandra is the second sitting councillor to join Congress. Last month, AAP councilor from Nanakpura ward Anil Malik had joined the party. “We are getting hints from some other leaders from the BJP and the AAP. We will allow them to join the Congress after giving due thought to their competence and local influence,” Delhi Congress president Ajay Maken had said at the joining of Malik.