The Ministry of External Affairs has today reiterated that Talks and terror can’t go hand in hand. In a weekly press conference, is spokesperson Vikas Swarup said the environment has to be terror free for talks to take place between both countries. He also said that MEA has summoned Pakistan’s deputy high commissioner on the continuous violation of ceasefire across the Line of Control (LoC). Despite calls for restraint, Pakistan constantly violated the ceasefire at least 27 times from November 12-21, he added.
Swarup also said that the government also protested the deliberate targeting by Pakistan army of 18 villages along LoC during 16-21 Nov. Speaking on the constant violation of Pakistan, the MEA spokesperson said that these acts of ceasefire, is a clear violation of the agreement of the year 2003.
The MEA spokesperson also said that the government has conveyed its concerns at continued attempts to infiltrate armed terrorists from across the LoC. During last week, there were 15 instances, he added. Pointing out that internationalising Kashmir issue has borne no fruit, he said the Pakistan should first end state support to terrorism.
He also confirmed reports on of foreign secretary S Jaishankar meeting the Trump administration which is scheduled to take over the reins from the Obama administration in January. On being questioned he said that Jaishankar did visit the US for regular consultation and interacted with senior members of the Trump administration earlier this month.
On being asked whether there will be a bilateral talks with Pakistan, when Sartaj Aziz, its advisor to Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, reach Amritsar for Heart of Asia (HoA) conference on December 3 and 4, Swarup said he was not in a position to confirm anything on the issue.