Rescue operations of Sukhoi-30 fighter jet, which was missing after take off from Tezpur IAF base in Assam on Tuesday has resumed, an ANI report said. The fighter jet had two IAF officers on board. Speaking to PTI, defence spokesman Lt. Col. Sombit Ghosh of the Army’s IV Corps had said, “A massive search operation, involving helicopters, were launched to trace the plane and the pilots, aged between 25 and 30.”
The search operation was stopped yesterday, due to poor weather conditions, an Indian Express report said.
On Tuesday morning, the jet had taken off from the IAF station on the outskirts of Tezpur. It lost radar and radio contact around 60 km northeast of the air base, following which authorities at Biswanath district, which borders Arunachal Pradesh, were informed.
Till now, the Air Force has already lost at least seven of the 240 Sukhoi-30MKIs. This was the second time that a Sukhoi-30 of the Tezpur base has met with trouble. On May 19, last year, a Sukhoi-30 crashed close to Laokhowa wildlife sanctuary in Nagaon district.
A Sukhoi-30 crashed close to Laokhowa wildlife sanctuary in Nagaon district on May 19, 2015.
On March 16, three people were injured when another Sukhoi aircraft of the IAF had crashed near Barmer.“A Sukhoi aircraft of Indian Air Force crashed near Barmer while on a routine training sortie. Both pilots ejected safely,” said Defence spokesperson Lt Col Manish Ojha.
You may also like to watch this video
“The incident happened around 2 pm. Apparently after developing some technical snag, the aircraft crash landed, hitting the roof of one house on its way and crashing into at least two more houses while disintegrating. Two of the three houses had extensive damage,” Barmer District Collector Sudhir Kumar Sharma was quoted by Indian Express as saying earlier.
“Only three persons sustained non-threatening injuries. Narayan Ram, his wife Dalli and their grandson Hanuman Ram suffered minor burns. They were taken to hospital and will be discharged soon,” Sharma had added, as per the paper.