Amarnath Yatra 2017 Attack: In yet another dastardly and cowardly act of terror, Lashkar e taiba terrorists on Monday night in Anantnag killed seven Amarnath pilgrims, including six women. It is the worst attack on the annual pilgrimage since the year 2001. Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who is personally monitoring the situation, stongly condemned the dastardly attack and asserted that India will never get bogged down by such cowardly attacks and evil designs of hate. He said he spoke to Governor N N Vohra and Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti and assured all possible assistance required. Home Minister Rajnath Singh also spoke to Vohra and Mehbooba. Kashmir IG Muneer Khan told news agency ANI that Lashkar is behind the attack. Here is all you need to know about the attack and what really happened during the strike:-
– The bus had come from Sonamarg
– The pilgrims were on their way back after visiting the Amarnath shrine
– The bus carrying yatris was on the highway when the incident occurred
– The bus was bearing the registration number GJ09Z 9976
– The terrorists first attacked a bullet-proof bunker of the police at Botengoo, a police official said, adding it was retaliated against
– Thereafter the terrorists fired on a police picket near Khannabal
– When the police retaliated, the militants fled, firing indiscriminately in which the bus carrying the yatris got it. When the police fired back, the militants fled.
– The bus was attacked around 8.20 PM on Monday near Khanabal when it was on its way from Srinagar to Jammu
– Total 7 killed – Five were from Gujarat and two from Maharashtra
– Deceased include six women
– The deceased from Gujarat were identified as Hasuben Ratila Patal, Surakha Ben and Lakshimiben S Patal from Valsad, Ratan Zeena Bhai Patal of Daman and Prajapati Champaben of Navsari
– Those from Maharashtra were Nirmala Ben Thakor, a resident of Palghar, and Usha Mohanla Sonkar of Danu
– A security official said the victims had performed the yatra two days ago and had subsequently moved to Srinagar.
– The bus was unregistered and it had not obeyed the security protocol in place