More than 15,000 tonnes of plastic waste are generated in India everyday, of which 6,000 tonnes remain uncollected and littered, the government today said.
In a written response to a question in Lok Sabha, Minister of State for Environment, Forest and Climate Change Anil Dave said consumption pattern and consumer behaviour have changed and witnessed a manifold increase in PET bottles and plastic wrapping of products.
As per a report of a Task Force constituted by erstwhile Planning Commission in 2014, 62 million tonnes of muncipal soild waste were generated annually in urban areas, he said.
However, as per the CPCB report in 2014-15, 51.4 million tonnes of solid waste were generated in the country, of which 91 per cent was collected, and 27 per cent was treated and remaining 73 per cent disposed of at dump sites.
“Central Pollution Control Board has estimated the generation of 15,342 tonnes of plastic waste in the country, out of which, 9,205 tonnes were reported to be recycled and leaving 6,137 tonnes uncollected and littered,” Dave said.
He said the ministry has comprehensively revised the Plastic Waste (Management and Handling) Rules 2011, and notified Plastic Waste Management Rules in March this year.
“These rules prescribe two years’ time to phase out manufacturing non-recylable multi-layered plastic.”
“The lack of awareness and absence of effective tools to collect back the discarded plastic products including the wrapping material has led to the indiscriminate littering and disposal of plastic waste,” Dave said.
He said the new rules provide for ways and means to minimise plastic waste generation, adoption of extended producer responsibility for collection of waste and sustainable plastic waste management, recycling and utilisation of plastic waste in road construction, energy and oil generation.
Copyright © 2017 The Indian Express [P] Ltd. All Rights Reserved.