Popular Malayalam actor and mimicry artist Kalabhavan Abi passed away on Thursday morning at the age of 52. Abi who was known for his work in movies like Mazhavil Koodaram, Kireedamillatha Rajakkanmar, Mimics Action 500, Aniyathipraavu and Rasikan, breathed his last at a Kochi hospital on November 30. He was declared dead at a private hospital where his family had taken him at 10.15 a.m. The initial media reports suggest that Abi was undergoing treatment for reduced blood platelet count. Colleagues and friends from the television and movie industry dropped in at the hospital to pay last respects. The reports also suggest that his body will be laid to rest at Muvattupuzha Central Juma Masjid on Friday afternoon.
Many celebrities including Dulquer Salmaan took to social media to express their grief and share condolences. “Can’t stop thinking about the countless times he’s made us laugh. A lot of my growing up had watching his shows on tv or even seeing him live on stage shows abroad with my father. His immense talent and endearing charm was timeless. And now Shane his son is one of our greatest breakout talents of Malayalam. Having done several films with him I got to see Abi ikka a lot of late. This is so sudden and so unexpected. My deepest condolences to the family. Our prayers and love to them always,” Salmaan posted.
Here are 5 facts you need to know about Kalabhavan Abi:
1. Abi rose to fame with his impeccable mimicry skill. His performance as an aged Muslim lady named ‘Amina Thatha’ made him a household name.
2. In a long and glorious career, Abi acted in around 50 films.
3. Abi, who had won first prize in MG University Youth Festival twice, was also known for his ability to mimic popular film actors, including Amitabh Bachchan. He had given the voice for the Bollywood superstar in many Malayalam ads.
4. He had gained fame after his stint with mimicry troupe Kalabhavan. Abi later went on to work with other troupes like Harisree and Cochin Sagar.
5. Abi, whose real name is Habeeb Ahamed, is survived by wife Sunila and children Ahana, Aleena and Shane Nigam. His son is also a popular film actor.