This week’s release Sanam Teri Kasam is the work of music video pioneers in India in the 1990s. These are the director duo of Radhika Rao and Vinay Sapru who stepped into directing Bollywood films with the Salman Khan and Sneha Ullal starrer ‘Lucky…’. Sanam Teri Kasam cast includes Harshvardhan Rane and Pakistani actress Mawra Hocane in lead roles. The director duo have the experience, but does that translate into effective execution in Sanam Teri Kasam? Here is all you wanted to know about the movie in 5 points without actually watching it:
1. Sanam Teri Kasam: The film opens with a bang and everybody is congratulating leading lawyer Inder Lal Parihar (Harshvardhan Rane) because he has won an important case. Immediately thereafter movie moves into the flashback mode with a series of incidents connecting his yesterday to today.
2. Sanam Teri Kasam: The flashback event start off with Inder’s ‘I-care-a-damn-about-the world’ attitude that makes Saraswati Parthasarthi aka Saru’s (Mawra Hocane) extremely religious father Jayaram Parthasarthi (Manish Choudhary) extremely frustrated. He is a strict father and wants nothing but the best (a bridegroom who is loaded with IIT-IIM degrees) for his beautiful daughter Saru, who works as a librarian.
3. Sanam Teri Kasam: The problem with Saru is that, despite being extremely cultured and intellectual, she gets rejected by prospective grooms because she is a self-confessed ‘vibhuti aunty’. The delay in Saru’s marriage also results in her younger sister Kaveri Parthasarthi’s (Divyetta) marriage getting delayed.
4. Sanam Teri Kasam: Saru wants to change the unpleasant situation at home and seeing an article on ‘complete makeovers’ in a magazine, she decides to go for an image change so that prospective bridegrooms do not reject her. During this transformation process, a series of events take place that turn not just Saru’s but also her entire family’s world upside down, so much so that her father Jayaram declares she is dead for him and his family. He even performs the pooja for the dead in front of Saru’s garlanded photograph.
5. Sanam Teri Kasam: So, what exactly goes haywire in Saru’s life, does she ultimately get an IIT-IIM man as her life partner and does Kaveri Parthasarthi’s marriage get further delayed is what forms the rest of the film.