Salman Khan’s recent release Bajrangi Bhaijaan with its stupendous success in terms of box office collections (Rs 217.82 crore by day 9) is the first Bollywood movie to enter the Rs 200 crore club in 2015 – in 2014 three films namely, Kick, Happy New Year and PK, made it into the exclusive club. In this edition of Box Office Report Card, we take a look at the films that have managed to break the barrier of Rs 200 crore. In a comparative analysis we pit the cast, director and of course the five films to break this mark against each other. Apart from this, below we list a few unknown factoids about the Rs. 200 Crore Club members:
1. While earlier films took days or even weeks to enter the club, 2014 marked a drastic change with Aamir Khan’s PK entering the club in under 10 days, establishing a new record of becoming the fastest film to reach the Rs 200 crore mark. Now joining Aamir Khan is Salman Khan with Bajrangi Bhaijaan which also becomes one of the fastest to reach the 200 cr mark.
2. Chennai Express managed to break 3 Idiots record (of entering the 200 crore club) after approximately 1267 days/181 weeks. However, Krrish 3 managed to break Chennai Express’ record of entering the 200 cr club after 80 days. Aamir Khan’s Dhoom 3 followed right after breaking Krrish 3’s record within 50 days. On the other hand, it took Kick a total of 11 days to enter the 200 cr club. Happy New Year managed to enter the 200 cr club in just 19 days, while Aamir’s PK crossed the 200 cr mark in just 9 days. And now Salman Khan’s Bajrangi Bhaijaan entered the club in 9 days.
3. Aamir Khan achieved this milestone when he was 45 years old, while Shah Rukh Khan achieved it closer to his 48th birthday. However, Hrithik Roshan is the youngest actor to enter the club achieving this milestone closer to his 40th birthday, while Salman Khan achieved this milestone when he was over 48 years of age. Interestingly, Aamir Khan is the only actor who now has a total of three films that have crossed the 200 cr mark.
4. Deepika Padukone achieved this milestone when she was over 27 as compared to Kareena Kapoor Khan who achieved the milestone when she was over 29 years old. On the other hand, Priyanka Chopra is the oldest actress to be the part of the 200 crore club at over 31 years, while Katrina Kaif achieved this milestone after she turned 30 years. On the other hand, Jacqueline Fernandez achieved this milestone at 29 years. Also in this club is Anushka Sharma who incidentally, is also the youngest actress to enter the club at the age of 26 years. But with Bajrangi Bhaijaan entering the club, Kareena Kapoor Khan will be joining Deepika Padukone as the only two actresses to have two films in the 200 cr club, as of now.
5. Rajkumar Hirani achieved this milestone when he was over 47 years old, Rohit Shetty achieved it after he turned 40, Vijay Krishna Acharya got this record at the age of 45, while Rakesh Roshan at the of age 64 is the oldest director/producer in 200 crore club. On the other hand producer turned director Sajid Nadiadwala achieved the same at over 48, while choreographer turned director Farah Khan accomplished the same at alsmost 50. However standing out from the rest Rajkumar Hirani will be the only director to have two films in the 200 cr club, while Bajrangi Bhaijaan director Kabir Khan achieved the same at the age of 44.
6. How well a movie’s box office collections perform is often decided by the number of screens it opens in. As such, 3 Idiots was released in 1,700+ screens, Chennai Express was released in 3,500+ screens, Krrish 3 was released in 4,400 screens, Dhoom 3 was released in 4,500 screens, Kick released in 4,000+ screens, Happy New Year featured in 4,800+ screens. Yet again taking the cake is PK that saw a release across a whopping 5,200 screens. Bajrangi Bhaijaan on the other hand released in 4,500 screens in India.
By Suleman Mobhani