Ajay Devgn-starrer Drishyam has hit the theatres at a time when the industry is soaring high. It all started off with the magical Bahubali, which, despite being a dubbed film, went on to register huge figures at the ticket windows all over. This box-office magic was continued by Salman Khan starrer Bajrangi Bhaijaan. Here are 8 points on what the movie is about:
1. For the uninitiated, Ajay Devgn’s Drishyam is remake of the Malayalam film by the same name, which was directed by Jeethu Joseph and starred Mohanlal and Meena in the lead.
2. The same film was then made in Kannada as Drishya with V. Ravichandran and Navya Nair in the lead.
3. Drishyam was also made in Telugu as Drushyam with Daggubati Venkatesh and Meena in the lead. It is only recently that the film was made in Tamil language as well titled Papanasam, which starred the legendary Kamal Haasan and Gauthami.
4. Drishyam starts off with Vijay Salgaonkar (Ajay Devgn) waiting at Pandolem police station in Goa. The story, flashes back to events that led Salgaonkar into the present day situation.
5. Salgaonkar is a ‘fourth standard failed’ middle class hard working businessman, running a cable TV business. His life revolves around movies and his family consisting of his wife Nandini Vijay Salgaonkar (Shriya Saran), his teenage daughter (Ishita Dutta) and his younger daughter.
6. Life goes on pretty smoothly for the Salgaonkars, till one day his elder daughter bumps into the bully Sam in a school camp. Despite repeated warnings, Sam doesn’t stop pestering her, so much so that he even plants a hidden camera in her washroom.
7. Sam demands sexual favours from her and promises to delete the MMS clip. And when Nandini intervenes, he asks for a sexual favour from Nandini too! Raging with anger and helplessness, Vijay’s daughter hits Sam with a rod that results in him collapsing on the spot. The mother-daughter get further shocked when they learn that Sam was the only son of none other than IG Meera Deshmukh (Tabu). Frightened and helpless they narrate their ordeal to Salgaonkar when he returns from his office.
8. Vijay then hatches a master plan that will help his family escape the clutches of the police. After this begins the cat and mouse game between Salgaonkar and Meera. Does the ‘fourth standard failed’ Vijay Salgaonkar manage to protect his family, does his foolproof plan have any flaws that act as a giveaway, what happens to Sam in the end… is what forms the rest of the story.