In August last year, we saw Shah Rukh Khan and Deepika Padukone going all guns blazing with Chennai Express. While the film went on to become one of the biggest hits crossing the 200 crore barrier, it was soon followed by Krrish 3 becoming the next entrant into the club, a feat soon followed by Aamir Khan’s Dhoom 3 and the Jacqueline Fernandez-Salman Khan starrer Kick. However, the latest entrant is the recently released Shah Rukh Khan-Deepika Padukone starrer Happy New Year.
In this edition of box office collection report card, we take a look at the films that have managed to break the barrier of Rs. 200 crore. In a comparative analysis we pit the cast, director and of course the five films to break this mark against each other.
Interestingly, while Aamir Khan’s 3 Idiots that released in Christmas in 2009 took 70 days to cross the mark, SRK’s film did the same in just 15 days. Krrish 3, on the other hand, took just 10 days to make it into the 200 crore club. Later another Aamir Khan starrer, Dhoom 3, managed the same in under 10 days, establishing a new record of becoming the fastest film to reach the Rs. 200 crore mark.
Apart from this, below we list a few unknown factoids about the Rs 200 crore club members:
1. Chennai Express managed to break 3 Idiots record (of entering the 200 crore club) after approximately 1267 days/181 weeks. However, Krrish 3 managed to break Chennai Express’ record of entering the 200 cr club after 80 days. Aamir Khan’s Dhoom 3 followed right after breaking Krrish 3’s record within 50 days. On the other hand, it took Kick a total of 11 days to enter the 200 cr club. However, Happy New Year has managed to set a new record by entering the 200 cr club in just 19 days.
2. Aamir Khan achieved this milestone when he was 45 years old, while Shah Rukh Khan achieved it closer to his 48th birthday. However, Hrithik Roshan is the youngest actor to enter the club achieving this milestone closer to his 40th birthday, while Salman Khan achieved this milestone after 48.63 years. However while Aamir Khan was earlier the only star to have two 200 crore blockbusters to his name, Shah Rukh Khan has joined him too.
3. Deepika Padukone achieved this milestone at the age of 27.5 years, as compared to Kareena Kapoor who achieved the milestone when she was nearly 29.5 years old. On the other hand, Priyanka Chopra is the oldest actress to be the part of the 200 crore club at the age of 31.34 years, while Katrina Kaif achieved this milestone after 30.5 years. On the other hand, Jacqueline Fernandez achieved this milestone at 29 years. But with Happy New Year entering the club, Deepika Padukone becomes the only actress to have two films in the 200 cr club, as of now.
4. Rajkumar Hirani achieved this milestone when he was 47.5 years old, Rohit Shetty achieved it at the age of 40.5 years, Vijay Krishna Acharya got this record at the age of 45, while Rakesh Roshan at the of age 64 is the oldest director/producer in 200 crore club. And now, On the other hand producer turned director Sajid Nadiadwala achieved the same at 48.49 years, while choreographer turned director Farah Khan accomplished the same at 49.9 years.
5. 3 Idiots was released in 1700+ screens, Chennai Express was released in 3500+ screens, Krrish 3 was released in 4400 screens whereas Dhoom 3 was released in 4500 screens in India. Though, Kick featured the biggest release across more than 4000+ screens, Happy New Year featured in 4800+ screens.
– By Suleman Mobhani