In the latest order by the University Grands Commission (UGC), some of India’s premier educational institutions have been asked to drop the ‘university’ title that is being used against their names. This means that in due course of time if these varsities could lose their ‘deemed-to-be-university status’ if they fail to take immediate steps towards the same. From Lingaya’s Univemig, Nachauli, Maharishi Markandeshwar University, Christ University, Jain University, SYMBIOSIS International University are some of the universities facing a crackdown The order has been released in the wake of the directions that were issued by the Supreme Court earlier in the month. A total of 29 institutes have been listed in UGC’s latest notice and a deadline has been given to them that has been asked to be treated as most urgent. The listed varsities have been asked to submit compliance by 4.00 PM today by e-mail.
UGC in its latest notice said, ” Necessary directions were issued by the UGC vide letter dated 10/13th November, 2O17 to all the Institutions Deemed to be Universities to restrain from using the word ‘University’ and submit compliance within 15 days.” It added, ” University is still using the word ‘University’ with its name and has not submitted the alternative proposal. This non-compliance of the orders of the Hon’ble apex court and directions of the UGC has been viewed ‘very seriously’ by the UGC.“ The release further stated, “It has been decided to give a last chance to the Institution Deemed to be University to immediately discontinue the name of the Deemed to be University using the word ‘University’ and submit an alternative proposal as requested vide above UGC letter.”
While talking about the consequences of not following the order, UGC in the notice stated, ” Failure to comply with these directions would amount to violation of the UGC (institutions Deemed to be Universities) Regulations, 2016 and necessary action would be initiated against the Institution Deemed to be University in accordance with Clause 22.0 of these Regulations which may include recommending withdrawal of the declaration notifying the institution as an Institution Deemed to be University to the Central Government.” The notice was released yesterday and while stated the deadline it said that the institutes, “are requested to submit compliance in respect of the above by 4.00 PM tomorrow i.e. 30th November, 2017 by e-mail at pkthakur. uqc@nic. in and firstname.lastname@example.org. This may be treated as MOST URGENT.”
The names of the Deemed to be University listed in the latest notice are as follows-
- Lingaya’s Univemig, Nachauli, Old Faridabad – Jasana Road, Faridabad – 121 002, Haryana.
- Maharishi Markandeshwaruniversity, Mullana, Ambala , Haryana.
- Christ University, Hosur Road, Bangalore – 560 029, Kamataka.
- Jain University,9112, Dr. A.N. l&ishna Rao Road, V.V. Puram, Bangalore, Kamataka.
- Yenepoya University, Mangalore, Kamataka
- SYMBIOSIS Intemational University, Senapati Bapat Road, Pune.411 004, Maharashtra.
- Gurukul Kangri Vishwavidyalaya, Haridwar-24g 404, Uttrakhand
- Punjab Engineering College, Sector- 12, Chandigarh-160 012
- National University of Educational Planning & Administration, 17 – B, Sri Aurbindo Marg, New Delhi 110 016.
- TERI School of Advanced Studies. Darbari Seth Block. Habitat Place. Lodhi Road. New Delhi- 110 003.
- K.L.E. Academy of Higher Education and Research, J.N.Medical College Campus, Belgaum(Karnataka)
- Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Madhav Nagar, Udupi, , Manipal-576 1O4, Karnataka.
- Kalinga Insitute of lndustrial Technology, AT/PO KllT Patia, Khurda, Bhubaneshwar-751 024, Orissa.
- Thapat Institute of Engineering & Technology, Thapar Technology Campus, Bhadson Road, P atiala- 1 47 004, Punjab
- Banasthali Vidyapith, Banasthali-304 022, Rajasthan.
- Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Ettimadai Post, Coimbatore-641 105, Tamilnadu.
- B.S. Abdur Rahman Institute of Science & Technology, Vandalur, Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
- Meenakshi Academy of Higher Education and Research, No. 12, Vembuli Amman Koil Street, West K.K. Nagar, Chennai-600 078, Tamilnadu.
- Ponnaiyah Ramajayam Institute of Science & Technology (PRIST), Yagappa Chavadi, Thanjavur – 614 904, Tamilnadu
- Sathyabama Institute of Science and Technology, Jappiaar Nagar, Old Mamallpuram Road, Chennai – 6001 1 9,(T.N).
- Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences, Post Box No. 6 No. 162, Poonamalle High Road, Velappanchavadi, Chennai-600 077 (Tamil Nadu).
- Shanmugha Arts, Science, Technology & Research Academy (SASTRA), Tirumalai Samudram, Thanjavur – 613 402, Tamilnadu.
- S.R.M Institute of Science and Technology, 2, Veerasamy Street, West Mambalam, Chennai- 600 033, Tamilnadu.
- Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute, 1, Ramachandra Nagar, Chennai-600 116.
- Vinayaka Mission’s Research Foundation, Sankari Mani Road, NH 47, Ariyanoor, Salem-636 308, Tamilnadu.
- Centraf lnstitute of Higher Tibetan Studies, Sarnath , Varanasi-22l 007, Uttar Pradesh.
- Sam Higginbottom Institute of Agriculture, Technology & Sciences, P.O. Agricultural Institute, Allahabad – 211 007. U.P.
- Shobit Institute of Engineering & Technology, Dulhera Marg, Roorkee Road, Meerut – 250 010 (u.P.)
- Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda Educational and Research Institute. P.O, Belur Math, Distt Howrah – 711 202, West Bengal.