Terming China as “number-one abuser”, leading Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump has alleged that the Communist nation, along with India, is taking advantage of the US through its economic policies. Read the top 5 quotes:
1. Trump said China was becoming a “major force” and is now creating problems both economically and through its behaviour in the South China Sea. “If you look at the way China and India and almost everybody takes advantage of the US- – China in particular, because they’re so good. It’s the number-one abuser of this country,” Trump said during the fourth debate of the party.
2. “China is a problem, both economically in what they’re doing in the South China Sea, I mean, they are becoming a very, very major force,” Trump said. He said that it was through “currency manipulation” that does not even find a mention in almost 6,000-page (TPP) agreement that the countries were taking advantage of the US.
3. “We lose a fortune on trade. The US loses with everybody. We’re losing now over USD 500 billion in terms of imbalance with China, USD 75 billion a year imbalance with Japan,” Trump said. While several other Republican candidates joined Trump on the China issue, there were no takers for his allegations against India, which was mentioned only once in the debate.
4. Trump had earlier said that India, China are taking Americans’ jobs. “I am going to win the Hispanics because they know I am going to bring back jobs, from lots of places including India and China and lots of places, that are taking our jobs,” said the real estate tycoon.
5. “But how are you going to do it? Can you get specific in terms of how you are going to get them?,” he was asked. “Yes, but I’ve been very specific, I’ve been very specific, look. We have to change our tax code, we have the highest taxes, we are highest taxed nation in the world,” he said.