With the protesting ex-servicemen dissatisfied with the formal notification of One Rank, One Pension (OROP) scheme, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar on Monday reacted strongly over the threat to ramp-up the agitation to add pressure on the government to agree to all their demands. He was replying to questions on veterans being unhappy with the OROP notification issued by the government on Saturday. Meanwhile, Air Force Chief Arup Raha said that the government has given directions on the OROP issue and everyone should accept it. He added that if anomalies were still persisting, these could be sorted out in due course of time. Here are top 5 things Parrikar said about OROP:
1. Har ek cheez mangte hai, wohi agar satisfy hone laga to kabhi khatam nahi hoga, aur koi kuchh aur mangega (even if all demands are satifisfied, someone will ask for something else).
2. Everyone has a right to make a demand in democracy but not all demands can be fulfilled.
3. ‘Maximum’ demands of the veterans have been fulfilled; the judicial commission that will be set up, will look into the ‘problems’. The ‘basic core issue’ has been addressed and if there is a problem, the judicial commission will look into that.
4. This is democracy. Everyone has the right to demand. But the maximum… their main demand for same pension for same rank has been given.
5. Rest is everything that we had declared (on September 5). Out of that, the confusion about VRS has been removed.