1. Narendra Modi government gears up to bring 23 lakh Anganwadi workers under EPFO umbrella, states may have to pay 40%

Narendra Modi government gears up to bring 23 lakh Anganwadi workers under EPFO umbrella, states may have to pay 40%

The Centre is gearing up to bring around 23 lakh anganwadi volunteers and their helpers under the ambit of Employees’ Provident Fund (EPF), keeping the employers’ contribution fixed at 10%.

By: | New Delhi | Published: May 24, 2017 6:47 AM
The Centre is gearing up to bring around 23 lakh anganwadi volunteers and their helpers under the ambit of Employees’ Provident Fund (EPF), keeping the employers’ contribution fixed at 10%.(PTI)

The Centre is gearing up to bring around 23 lakh anganwadi volunteers and their helpers under the ambit of Employees’ Provident Fund (EPF), keeping the employers’ contribution fixed at 10%. States may have to contribute 40% of the proposed employers’ contribution, while the Centre would bear the remaining 60%. The contribution of such scheme workers towards EPFO will also be kept at 10% of the honorarium.

Anganwadi volunteers and their helpers, who are responsible for running welfare schemes for children such as the Integrated Child Development Scheme (ICDS) and others meant for women, currently get Rs3,000 and Rs1,500 honorarium, respectively, per month in which the Centre contributes 60% and the states pay 40%.

However, their honorarium differs from state to state since states also pay them additionally out of their own resources for any additional work assigned to them.

Also Watch:

“We will bring all scheme workers under the social security net to start with anganwadi workers and helpers—approximately 23 lakh under the EPFO. We are preparing a scheme in which both such workers and the government would contribute 10% of the honorarium they get now,” labour minister Bandaru Dattatreya told FE.

The highest decision-making body of the retirement fund, Central Board of Trustees (CBT), has already unanimously approved the proposal and recommended the Centre to bring in all scheme workers under the EPFO net.

Labour ministry sources said the proposal to include anganwadi volunteers and their helpers has already approved by the Group of Ministers (GoM), headed by finance minister Arun Jaitley. A committee comprising senior officials from the ministries of women and child welfare, human resource development, health and labour, under the chairmanship of labour secretary M Sathiyavathy, has been asked to prepare the guideline of the scheme. “Once the draft scheme is prepared, we will take it to the Cabinet immediately,” Dattatreya said.

Ministry sources said this is part of the overall programme of the Centre to bring all scheme workers totalling around 62 lakh, who have been working without any social security cover for over 40 years, to bring under the social security net.

The move will also help EPFO to enhance its subscriber base which currently stands at over 4 crore. EPFO gave 8.65% interest on subscribers’ deposits last fiscal.

  1. A
    Arti Sharma
    May 29, 2017 at 3:59 pm
    It is a good step for anganwadi workers by modiji. But ry kam hai.
    Reply
    1. K
      Kiransinha
      May 28, 2017 at 10:11 am
      Government should treat an ganwadi workers at least as skilled labourer and pay like that.
      Reply
      1. G
        GYANARANJAN RAY BABU
        May 25, 2017 at 10:23 pm
        Anganwadi honorarium isn't sufficient for them. The wages are very poor their family members. RS3000.The daily wages are rs135 per day for them. Now all things market value are high. Rice per kg isRs_20.00.Oil liter is Rs 110.00.Itistoo difficult for their family. I hope Cent-Govt will be kind and increase their ry.
        Reply
        1. R
          Rashmi dubey
          May 25, 2017 at 4:45 pm
          Shri man mandey bahut kam hai please kuch sochie
          Reply
          1. R
            Rashmi dubey
            May 25, 2017 at 4:43 pm
            very nice
            Reply
            1. N
              Narayan Amar
              May 25, 2017 at 12:20 pm
              ry to nahi milta hai timely. Or mahengai K is waqt hum log kaise gujara kare modi ji.? Kya aap 3000 rupiya mai apna poribar chala sakenge? Ans dijiye
              Reply
              1. S
                Sasha Sharna
                May 25, 2017 at 9:31 am
                Yeah to thik had. Pat shake kuch de to sahi. 3000main khayege kya aur kategain kya wo bhi regular Nahi hain
                Reply
                1. S
                  Sarika Chauhan
                  May 24, 2017 at 10:50 pm
                  Aganwari
                  Reply
                  1. A
                    Ajay yadav
                    May 24, 2017 at 7:17 pm
                    I heartly appreciate this move of govt, it will provide financial security to women
                    Reply
                    1. Load More Comments

                    Go to Top