Volkswagen scandal: The carmaker said Monday it’s offering a goodwill package to current owners of its 2.0-liter diesels in the US and Puerto Rico. Volkswagen acknowledged in September that the vehicles don’t meet U.S. emissions standards and contain software that allowed them to cheat on emissions tests. (Image Source: AP) Here are top 7 things to know about the Volkswagen scandal:
1. WHAT IS IT? Volkswagen and Audi will give owners a $500 Visa gift card, a $500 dealership card and free 24-hour roadside assistance for three years.(Image Source: AP)
2. WHO IS ELIGIBLE? People who own one of the 482,000 affected vehicles in the U.S. as of Nov. 8 are eligible. Affected models are 2.0-liter turbodiesel versions of the 2009-2015 Jetta, 2009-2014 Jetta SportWagen, 2010-2015 Golf, 2015 Golf SportWagen, 2012-2015 Beetle and Beetle convertible and 2012-2015 Passat. The 2009-2013 and 2015 Audi A3 is also affected. (Image Source: AP)
3. HOW DOES IT WORK? Volkswagen will notify owners starting Monday; Audi will launch its program Friday. Owners can visit http://www.VWDieselInfo.com to see if their car is eligible and sign up for the offer. Once the gift cards arrive, in approximately four weeks, they must be taken to a dealership to be activated. (Volkswagen CEO Matthias Mueller, center, looks at the assembly line for the Golf VII during a tour the VW plant in Wolfsburg, Germany Wednesday Oct. 21, 2015. (Image Source: AP))
4. DOES THIS REPLACE OTHER LOYALTY OFFERS? No. Volkswagen is still offering a $2,000 loyalty bonus for customers who trade in affected diesels, among other incentives. (Image Source: AP)
5. CAN OWNERS USE THE DEALER GIFT CARD TO GET THEIR EMISSIONS SYSTEMS REPAIRED? No. Volkswagen is still figuring out how to repair all the affected vehicles. The gift card can be used for other things, like a down payment on a new car, an oil change or a set of tires. (Image Source: AP)
6. CAN OWNERS WHO TAKE THE OFFER STILL SUE VOLKSWAGEN? Yes.
7. WHY AREN’T OTHER DIESELS INCLUDED IN THIS OFFER? The U.S. government last week said Volkswagen’s larger, six-cylinder diesels – used in VW and Audi SUVs – also cheated on emissions tests. But the company is still meeting with the government to figure out what test procedures were used. (Image Source: AP)
Modified Bajaj Pulsar bikes: Kawasaki H2, Bobber and more unbelievable replicas!
Superbikes and premium cruisers launching in 2018: Royal Enfield 650 twins, Benelli Imperiale 400, Indian Roadmaster Elite & more
In pictures: Mercedes-AMG and Cigarette Racing’s Project ONE inspired 3100 hp speedboat
Modified Royal Enfield: This Classic 500 Bobber built by Chennai-based customiser hits all the right chords