Ford Motor Co launches new compact sedan Figo Aspire in India at a starting price of Rs 489,990 ($7,597) ex-showroom Delhi for petrol variant. (Car Dekho)
Ford India today launched Ford Figo Aspire priced between Rs 4.90 lakh and Rs 8.24 lakh (ex-showroom price Delhi) to take on the likes of Maruti Suzuki, Hyundai and Honda in the fast growing compact sedan segment.
The Figo Aspire will be available in both petrol and diesel engine options.
The petrol option has two variants, powered by 1.2 litre and 1.5 litre engines, available at a price range of Rs 4.90 lakh and Rs 7.80 lakh.
While, the diesel option has a 1.5 litre engine and is tagged at a price range of Rs 5.90 lakh and Rs 8.24 lakh (all prices ex-showroom Delhi).
* Ford is offering three engine options with the car that comprise of the two petrol and one diesel
* Petrol Engines: 1.5 TiVCT mated to a 6-speed DCT; 112PS of power and 136 Nm of torque, 1.2-litre TiVCT mated to a 5-speed manual; 88PS of power and 112 Nm of torque
* Diesel motor: 1.5 TDCi mated to a 5-Speed manual; 100PS of power and 215 Nm of torque
* Black and Beige interior color scheme with piano black trims
* Ford SYNC system with dash mounted screen, Ford MyDock on lower trims
* Bluetooth telephony, voice command, AUX-in, USB-in, music streaming
* Well padded semi-bucket seats on the front, good roomy seats at the back
* Steering mounted controls
* Ford MyKey lets you set speed limit of your car
* Lots of storage spaces, cubby holes and pockets
* Compact instrumentation cluster integrated with driver information display
"The year 2015 is the year of next stage of growth for Ford in India. We plan to launch three new products in next six months starting with the Figo Aspire today," Ford India President and Managing Director Nigel Harris told reporters here.
He said the Figo Aspire has been developed keeping the requirements of Indian customers in mind such as good design, high fuel efficiency and value for money while meeting Ford's global standards.
With its pricing, Figo Aspire has started a price war against the likes of Maruti Suzuki's Dzire, Hyundai's Xcent, Honda's Amaze and Tata Motors' Zest which are priced at a range of Rs 5.03 lakh to Rs 8.21 lakh.
The segment is witnessing a fierce competition in the Indian market and accounts for nearly 30,000-35,000 cars each month.
After the Figo Aspire, Harris said Ford India will launch the Figo hatch around the festival season, to be followed by an all new version of SUV Endeavour later in the year or early next year.
With sales of 1.1 million vehicles in 2014, compact cars' share was 45 per cent in India's auto market in 2014. Ford expects the segment to grow to around 1.6 million units by 2018.
The company will also export the Figo Aspire to compete globally. Ford plans to make India an export hub for small cars.
It aims to triple exports from India over the next five years with its new USD 1 billion plant at Sanand becoming operational.
"Products like Figo Aspire will come out of our Sanand facility not only for the Indian market but also for other global markets. That plant is going to be an export hub," Harris said.
At present, Ford India exports around 60,000 to 70,000 units annually to over 35 global markets from its Chennai- based facility.
With its new Sanand factory getting operational, the company is targeting a total of 50 export markets.
Ford India's total installed capacity currently stands at 4.4 lakh vehicles and 6.1 lakh engines per annum from its two plants in Chennai and Sanand in Gujarat.
(With inputs from CarDekho)