End of Ratan Tata’s dream car project as Tata Nano might be phased out soon? Or is there an electric hope of revival?

Tata Nano is no longer a profitable proposition for Tata Motors. Nano's domestic sales and production is at all time low.

By: | Updated: December 3, 2017 10:17 PM
File Photo: Narendra Modi and Ratan Tata during Tata Nano roll out from Sanand plant

With the way things are going for Tata Nano, it looks like Tata Motors is heading towards phasing out the production of its smallest car. The production of the car from Tata Motors’ Sanand plant in the month of October 2017 recorded a total of 74 units which is about down by about 90 percent when compared to the same month last year. In the ongoing financial year 2017-18 (April – October 2017) the company has manufactured 1,299 units as against 5,380 units in April – October 2016 period. The numbers are at all time low and Ratan Tata’s dream project of making the most affordable car for Indian families too might fade away. Domestic sales of Tata Nano this financial year stands at 1,493 units which is down by about 71 percent.

Tata Motors is currently working on business strategy that revolves around optimising loses and picking up volumes to increase profitability. N Chandrasekran, Chairman, Tata Sons had earlier accepted that not just Tata Nano but every passenger vehicle is losing money. The company has adopted a strategy to cut down the number of platforms from current six to two advance modular platforms. Tata Nano was a great idea but an ambitious project, soon after its unveil in 2008, Tata Nano made it headlines and was the talk of the nation for a long time but the tag line of a cheap car spoiled it all for the company and for car itself. The company also reintroduced the Tata Nano GenX version in 2015 with AMT gearbox to appeal to more younger buyers but wasn't enough to get sales going.

File photo: Ratan Tata at the launch of Tata Nano in 2009

A report of Business Standard says that Tata Motors dealers are in most parts of the country have stopped placing order for Tata Nano and are also offering discounts to clear out its existing stocks. Tata Nano’s components suppliers have not been asked to stop production for any of the small cars’ components. However, the suppliers are not blocking any production capacity for Tata Nano, the required part is made as per order claims the Business Standard Report. With BSVI norms kicking in 2020 we do not expect Tata Motors to make any new investment on its existing Nano.  Tata Motors says that the company is still manufacturing Nano catering to customer demands in key markets.

Electric Tata Nano Image Credit: AUTOCAR

However, there might be an electric version of Tata Nano that will be built and sold by Jayem Auto a Tata Motors backed company and reports suggest that the car might be called Jayem Neo. Tata Motors will supply Nano body shells without the engine and transmission to Jayem Automotives, which will manufacture and market the EV. Going forward we will still see the electric version of the car but will not be branded under Tata Motors or carry the name of Nano and hence we expect Nano to be phased out soon as it is no longer a profitable proposition for the company.

Tata Motors is also currently busy developing the electric Tata Tigor for the EESL tender and we expect to see the production version of electric Tata Tigor in December 2017.  Tata Tigor will be powered by a 85 kW electric motor and the car will also weight almost 200 kgs less than the regular Tata Tigor variants. Tata Motors is certain about getting into electric vehicle business but the future of Tata Nano is clearly uncertain and we might see the end of it soon.

Sharon
    Dec 4, 2017 at 4:52 am
    Have you guys checked out this guy GARY McKINNON involved with any sort of hack,i come across him through my cousin because have already explain to him about the rip off i got while trying to increase my credit score when its was low by some programmers. He help me increase it to 750 plus excellent within 48 hours to my greatest surprise and I get to live in peace with my family again. get to him today for your credit score upgrades asides the fact that i was provided a permanent solution to the service he rendered me but he gave a very efficient customer experience.Get to him on garymckinnoncyberservice and it's affordable.
      anony mous
      Dec 1, 2017 at 11:45 pm
      I went on google in search of how to take off eviction from my public records and most people on different forums kept talking about a professional . and how fast, affordable and reliable he is...I got in contact with him and told him the issues i had with my records. His response to my mails made me calm and optimistic about the whole thing. I made a down payment for the job and he cleaned my public records in 3 days. What a relief!...Now i don't have to worry anymore and its so amazing. Fix your credit report by contacting his email {spystealth 'dot' org 'at' g mail 'dot' com} and by the time he's done with your job, do not hesitate to spread words about his services to people in need of a professional hacker because i'm very sure you'd be glad you hired him for the job.
      1. Raymond Barry
        Nov 28, 2017 at 10:45 pm
        I will like to introduce to you CREDITFREAK CLERK who made life easier for me and my wife. My name is RAYMOND, i found out that some credit report companies here online can barely raise credit score. Am saying this because i have been ripped off severally. I wanted to buy a house for me and my family however, i wasn't qualified as a result of poor credit report. I was so worried, and frustrated. i stumbled into this particular hacker who was spoken of everywhere on social media and on credit sites and i gave him a call. we reached an agreement after some series of questions from him, he eventually fixed my credit and raised my score to what i wanted. i'm glad i didn't give up on my search. you can use his services if you have a similar delima, he can also fix a chexsystem report and a DUI report as well. [CREDITFREAK CLERK (469) 293 74]
        1. Jennifer Gibson
          Nov 28, 2017 at 8:50 pm
          I don't mind utilizing my little strength to let the world know that a good Heart hacker as WHITEHAT services (WHITEHATSERVICESatPROGRM otNET, 6193636202) exist amidst imposters. It really gets at me when imposters would make it seem there ain't no good hackers. I have been sick of cancer for a while now and needed a high medical attention that require a lot of money. I am an aging woman living alone with no one to help me. I needed to fix my credit so I could get a loan to treat my ill health. He helped me fix up my report efficiently and at less cost after I told him my condition and how I have been scammed severally by online scammers. He removed the negatives on my report and increased my score to a high 700s. I'm now a healthy woman who live strong even though the age still tells on me. I can only be ever grateful to Him for my health and present living status that's why from the depth of my heart, I highly recommend WHITEHAT services for anyone with credit issues.
            Robert Mcdonald
            Nov 28, 2017 at 1:31 pm
            My name is Robert, I live in the state of Arizona. Our apartment got flooded back in November 2014, after I had a slip and fall on the apartment premises. We didn’t have the right rental insurance, there the bill came up to 14500 USD, they asked us to pay but we didn’t have money so I agreed to pay and made a payment plan and they refused and put eviction on my credit. I didn’t realize that eviction was on my credit until last 2 months I was trying to buy a house, and then the realtor told me. My credit score is 426, I don’t qualify for anything. I want American dream, I want to buy a house, I want to buy properties and start a business. I needed help and I found DERRICK here online, he is a good and kind credit repair expertise. He pulled my score to 792, deleted the eviction and every other negative item, and added good Tradelines. I got everything I wanted and even more thanks to him because he is a God sent. Email him on DERRICKREPAIR TECHIE he will be more than willing to help
              Robert Mcdonald
              Nov 28, 2017 at 12:57 pm
                anony mous
                Nov 28, 2017 at 5:15 am
                I went on google in search of how to take off eviction from my public records and most people on different forums kept talking about a professional . and how fast, affordable and reliable he is...I then went ahead, and told him my issues with my records. His response to my mails made me calm and optimistic about the whole thing. I made a down payment for the job and he cleaned my public records in 3 days. What a relief!...Now i don't have to worry anymore and its so amazing. Fix your credit report by contacting his email {spystealth 'dot' org 'at' g mail 'dot' com} and by the time he's done with your job, do not hesitate to spread words about his services to people in need of a professional hacker because i'm very sure you'd be glad you hired him for the job.
                  anony mous
                  Nov 28, 2017 at 5:14 am
                  I went on google in search of how to take off eviction from my public records and most people on different forums kept talking about a professional . and how fast, affordable and reliable he is...I then went ahead, and told him my issues with my records. His response to my mails made me calm and optimistic about the whole thing. I made a down payment for the job and he cleaned my public records in 3 days. What a relief!...Now i don't have to worry anymore and its so amazing. Fix your credit report by contacting his email {spystealth 'dot' org 'at' 'dot' com} and by the time he's done with your job, do not hesitate to spread words about his services to people in need of a professional hacker because i'm very sure you'd be glad you hired him for the job.
                    Paul
                    Nov 28, 2017 at 3:29 am
                    Don't worry about Rantanji! He is fine with it! He wanted to fill a need and understands that this as Nano did not go the way it could have. He also understands the Nano was a Warershed idea that sent ripples throughout the auto industry and harbingered the acceptability of a small car extremely great gas mileage! Nano pushed the majors into rethinking this gap! Viva la Nano! Nice job Ratan and Nice job India!