Electric Tata Nano spotted on test: Find out why Tata may or may not build one.

Picture of what appears to be an electric powered Nano on tests in Coimbatore, sporting the same body work as the current Nano GenX. Here's what all the hype is about

By: | Published: September 17, 2017 3:32 PM

The Tata Nano has been in the news recently, after Tata announced that they were keen on dropping it from their product list. However, the Nano’s tremendous sentimental value saw the investors giving it extending it’s lease on life. Tata however, said they would soon decide on what they thought would be the best way forward for their Nano which now sells a dismal 250 units a month, broadly hinting on the possibility of an electric Nano.

Read Also: Tata Nano: The world’s cheapest electric car on the cards?

Now interwebs has served up another reason for us to believe that the electric Nano could soon be a reality, via Team BHP.com, who’s forums churned out a picture of what appears to be an electric powered Nano on tests in Coimbatore. Sporting the same body work as the current Nano GenX, the only things that indicates that this might be the electric Nano is the  ‘4BNEV-A08’ sticker on the rear window and lack of visible exhaust. There is also the small matter that coimbatore is also home to Jayem Auto, which is a hot bed for Tata R&D, that gave us the likes of the super Nano, the 265bhp Nano that we saw a few Auto Expo’s ago. In hindsight however, Jayem auto have been testing all kinds of configurations for the Nano in the past, including a diesel Nano (which didn’t work because it was too noisy) and, a one litre petrol engine as well as a 600cc turbocharged unit. None of which were approved for production. Which means that until Tata, officially announce that they will build it, these spy shots are all the evidence we have.

Electric versions of Tata cars are definitely on the horizon, and to that end the Nano is possibly the best match for an introductory electric. Alongside of course the Tiago EV!

Image Source: Team-BHP

Jagdish M Sindhi
    Sep 18, 2017 at 10:45 pm
    Tata Nano is indeed a good car for city drive,easy to park,it takes no much efforts to drive in crowded roads, following behind an auto rickshaw all it takes to reach ahead of almost all vehicles.an Electric Nano is a welcome move being taken by the Tatas
      Sanjay Tamboli
      Sep 18, 2017 at 8:51 pm
      I am driving Tata Nano car 110000km in all India on all types of road at all condition. Non stop 600 to 700km run fifteen times their was no any brake down or no stop for any car problems. I am a automobile Engg. So I am recommend that Tata Nano car is a best design of car still I have no any maintenance about engine, suspension transmission system, just I have replaced break linners because this is need to replacement.
        Punekar
        Sep 18, 2017 at 8:49 pm
        NANO is such a fantastic car for City driving, I wonder why they should stop it's production? I have been using it for almost 4 years now. TaMo should rethink their strategies.
        1. Sanjay Chattopadhyay
          Sep 18, 2017 at 6:10 pm
          I wonder if electric cars will be suitable enough for long journeys ! How much time I've to spare to recharge it ? Can anyone enlighten me ?
          1. bose susanta
            Sep 18, 2017 at 8:43 am
            Tata nano is the best car as per my choice, because of easy parking in a small space, interior is spacious, driving comfortness and low fuel consumption.Performance of the car is no doubt appreciable. On the highway it runs like other efficient cars.Never creat any problem. Nano is the best car from all corner. Day by day most of the cities are becoming overcrowded and big cars can't move easily, so we require small car for easy transportation. In future most of the people will realise the utility of Tata Nano.Other small cars have so many technical mechanical defects,whereas Nano's performance is mostly troublefree.
              RAJESHWAR
              Sep 18, 2017 at 5:40 pm
              Strongly agree...I have driven about 30000km on my first gen Nano...I have had a great service from it...Even without power steering it's been a smooth drive...It's the best car for entire family...With a y door and power steering addition Nano is quite exciting..Electric version is welcome..Hope Nano doesn't go phased out.