Ajay Devgn-starrer Singham Returns' box office collections have reached near Rs 135-crore level. While the film's business in the domestic market have touched Rs 132.36 crore, it's doing relatively well overseas also, with collections of over Rs 15 crore.
Into Week 4, Salman Khan's 'Kick' box office collections have been Rs 231.85 crore in the Indian market alone.
'Singham Returns' might have reached the coveted Rs 100 crore box office collections mark within five days just like Salman Khan' 'Kick' but Devgn's film looks unlikely to enter the Rs 200 crore club. Though 'Singham Returns' managed to break 'Kick' opening day record for 2014, it's highly improbable that the film will be able to replicate the overall success of 'Kick' at the box office.
Interestingly, both films gained from having two big weekday holidays within a week of its release 'Singham Returns' being released on the Independence Day and 'Kick' getting Eid holiday in its first week.
Here are some of the reasons why 'Singham Returns' can't overshadow 'Kick':
1. 'Singham Returns' had the biggest opening day of 2014 beating 'Kick' with Rs 32.09 crore, but it got beaten over the first weekend (Rs 77.69 crore) by Salman's film, which made Rs 83.83 crore.
2. At the end of Week 1, 'Singham Returns' box collections had been Rs 112.59 crore while 'Kick' made Rs 164.09 crore at the domestic box office.
3. Salman Khan's film entered the exclusive Rs 200 crore club in 11 days and is now behind only 'Dhoom 3' and Krrish 3' in top Bollywood grossers list with Rs 231.85 crore in nett revenue so far. In 12 days, Devgn's movie could generate only Rs 132.36 crore.
4. Day 12 box office collections of Singham Returns' have been Rs 1.88 crore while 'Kick' made Rs 4.21 crore.
5. While 'Kick' box office collections have been more than Rs 50 crore, Singham Returns has so far managed to earn about Rs 15 crore. Though complete data for both the movies are yet to come, Devgn's film is unlikely to reach the Rs 50 crore mark.
6. Salman Khan has a much more bigger fan base than Ajay Devgn. So 'Kick' might run in cinema halls for a longer period of time. For example, Salman has 7.92 million followers in Twitter compared to 2.41 million of Devgn. This is despite Bhai joining the micro-blogging site later (April 2010) than the Singham star (August 2009).