"...putting the Indian economy back on track is paramount for my government. We will work together to usher our economy into high growth path, rein in inflation, reignite the investment cycle, accelerate job creation and restore the confidence of domestic as well as international community in our economy," he said.
"They (people of India) have voted for a united, strong and modern India - "Ek Bhjarat-Shreshta Bharat". My government will work to fulfil these aspirations, with the involvement of all the 125 crore people of this great country," he said.
The President Pranab Mukherjee in his address to the joint sitting of Parliament unveiled the policies and priorities of the BJP-led NDA government which assumed power last month after elections to the 16th Lok Sabha.
The economy, Mukherjee said is "passing through an extremely difficult phase. For the two consecutive years, our GDP growth has been less than 5 per cent. Tax collection has declined. Inflation continues to be an at unacceptable level".
Referring to the high food inflation, he said the new government will give "top most priority" to contain it.
The government, he added, will take effective steps to prevent hoarding and black marketing and reform the public distribution system, incorporating best practices from the states.
The President further said the government is alert about the possibility of a subnormal monsoon this year and is in the process of preparing contingency plan to deal with the situation.
The government, Mukherjee said, will endeavour to "create a policy environment which is predictable, transparent and fair.
"It will embark on rationalisation and simplification of the tax regime to make it non-adversarial and conducive to investment, enterprise and growth," he added.
He said government will move ahead with the rollout of Goods and Services Tax (GST) while addressing the concerns of the states, and undertake more reforms to enhance the ease of doing business.
The President further said that Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) will be encouraged in sectors which "help create jobs and assets".
In order to create jobs, he said, the government will promote labour-intensive manufacturing and endeavour to expand employment opportunities in tourism and agro-based industries.
The government will transform employment exchanges into career centres and also strengthen pension and health insurance safety nets for labour force of all categories, in addition to providing them access to modern financial services, Mukherjee said.
Giving further details of the government's agenda, he said effort will be made to increase public and private investment in the farm infrastructure and convert farming into a profitable venture through scientific practices and agro-technology.
The government "will adopt a national land use policy which will facilitate scientific identification of non- cultivable land and its strategic development", he added.
Following are the highlights of the economic blueprint of Prime Minister Narendra Modi as unveiled by President Pranab Mukherjee in address to the joint sitting of Parliament here today:
* Ushering in high growth rate, putting economy back on track
* Contain food inflation
* Reignite the investment cycle
* Accelerate job creation
* Restore investor confidence
* Create predictable, transparent and fair policy environment
* Make tax regime non-adversarial
* Make efforts to introduce GST
* Undertake reforms to enhance ease of doing business
* Allow FDI in sectors that will create jobs, assets
* Emphasis on improving supplies to contain food inflation
* Steps to prevent hoarding and black marketing
* Reform of Public Distribution System to be taken
* Prepare contingency plan to deal with subnormal monsoon
* Increase investment in agriculture, infrastructure
* Promote labour-intensive manufacturing
* Invest in world class industrial regions, particularly along the Dedicated Freight Corridors and Industrial Corridors to be set up
* Unveil a comprehensive National Energy Policy
* Reforms in coal sector to attract private investment in transparent manner
* Expand National Solar Mission
* Operationalise international civil nuclear agreements, develop nuclear power projects.