Police rescue kidnapped EXL Services vice-president Sanjeev Punn

Written by Aniruddha Goshal | Noida | Updated: Jan 2 2014, 18:22pm hrs
MNC executive kidnapTwo men held for kidnapping EXL?s vice-president Sanjeev Punn (inset)
Noida police on Tuesday rescued a 42-year-old executive of a multinational company who had been kidnapped on Monday night. Police said Sanjeev Punn, vice-president of EXL Services Private Limited, was kidnapped while he was returning home from his office in Noida.

Punns driver Suraj and Surajs nephew Monu have been arrested in connection with the case. Monus friend and accomplice, Navraj, managed to escape, police said.

According to police, Punn left his office in Noida, Sector-58, on Monday around 10.45 pm for his home in South City II, Gurgaon.

When they reached Gurgaon toll plaza, Punn noticed Suraj sending a text message. He thought that Suraj was messaging his wife. But soon after, Navraj, who had been hiding in the cars boot, attacked Punn with a gun. Punn asked Suraj to stop the car, but he refused, Pritender Singh, SSP Gautam Budh Nagar, said.

He (Navraj) hit me on the head with the butt of the gun, Punn said.

When they were near the Gurgaon golf course, Punn saw police on patrol and tried to attract their attention, but failed. This angered Navraj who again beat up the MNC executive, police said.

Police said Punn was then bound, gagged and dumped in the cars boot. I couldnt see much. Later, I realised that I had been taken to Meerut, Punn said. Police said the duo drove through Delhi, Noida and Ghaziabad to reach Meerut.

When Punn didnt return home, his wife Anuradha who teaches at Amity International School, Gurgaon tried calling Suraj. When her calls went unanswered, she called Kundan who had referred Suraj to the family, police said.

Kundan told Anuradha that Punn had accidentally run someone over and that the family was demanding Rs 10 lakh as compensation, Singh said. The accused also forced Punn to call up his relative Hema, a resident of Noida, and narrate a similar story.

However, police said, Punns family noticed something was amiss. They informed the Noida police who put Punns and his drivers phones on surveillance. The two were traced to Meerut.

Police said a Crime Branch team, led by DSP Vishwajeet Sirvastava, was sent to Meerut. At 8 am, Punns friend G K Gupta received a call from him. Gupta was asked to go to the Meerut-Haridwar highway with the money. The accused had asked for Rs 10 lakh, but settled for Rs 3.5 lakh, Srivastava said.

Police instructed Gupta to go to the Meerut-Haridwar Highway with the money, but the accused kept changing the location. Gupta and the accused spoke on the phone 32 times before the police team identified the Punns car. We closed in on the vehicle near the Hindon Bridge in Noida sector-70, Srivastava said.

Police said Monu joined Suraj and Navraj after 11 am on Tuesday. Police also found that the accused had withdrawn Rs 40,000 using Punns debit cards.

The police said the accused had planned the kidnapping to obtain seed money for a real estate business. Police have recovered Rs 34,800 and seized two guns from them.