Pakistani troops opened unprovoked small arms firing at forward posts in Pallanwala sector of Jammu district around 2310 hours late last night, the Defence PRO said here today.
Army troops took positions and replied to the Pakistani firing resulting in exchanges, he said, adding that there was no loss of life or damage to property in the firing.
General Officer Commanding (GOC) of Nagrota-based 16 Corps Lieutenant General K H Singh said the Indian Army is giving a befitting reply to Pakistani troops.
This is second ceasefire violation by Pakistani troops in less than 7 hours and the 8th ceasefire violation in the month of July.
Yesterday, Pakistani troops had opened unprovoked small arms firing at forward posts in Balakote belt of Mendhar sector of Poonch district from 1650 hours to 1730 hours.
On July 20, there was a major ceasefire violation as Pakistan Rangers indulged in heavy firing and shelling of mortar bombs on 15 border outposts and several villages along the International Border in Jammu district, damaging houses and killing livestock.
On July 18, Pakistan Rangers targeted BoPs with small arms and automatic weapons along IB in Arnia belt of Jammu district.
Speaking to reporters on the sidelines of a wreath laying ceremony at Nagrota Corps Headquarters today, the GOC said, "This time there is a marginal increase in ceasefire violations.
"I can say with a lot of confidence that our troops on the LoC are giving a befitting reply and will continue to do so. Any nefarious designs of the enemy will be defeated," he said.
The Lieutenant General also said that ceasefire violations by Pakistan are "quite normal" compared to last year.
"I would like to assure you all that ceasefire violations around this time generally increases because of undergrowth, because of the situation in Pakistan and also because of the upcoming elections. But it is quite normal when compared to last year," he said.