Mumbai resident in suspected Ebola case quarantined at home

Written by Express news service | Mumbai | Updated: Aug 12 2014, 18:00pm hrs
A 31-year-old resident of Vasai, who recently returned from Nigeria and was suspected to have contracted the Ebola virus, has been quarantined at home by civic health officials as a precautionary measure to contain the suspected infection.

The man returned to India on July 28 from Lagos in Nigeria where he had been employed with a private firm. In the absence of a screening facility at Mumbais Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport which was initiated last week after an advisory was issued by civic officials he could not be checked for any ailments then.

Within a few days, he complained of diarrhoea, which is known to be one of the several symptoms of the Ebola Virus Disease.

He contacted the Delhi board number set up specially for ebola after he feared he had contracted the infection. The health ministry got in touch with us and we admitted him to hospital, said Dr Anupama Rane, medical health officer at Vasai Virar Municipal Corporation.

The man was admitted to the civic-run Sir D M Petit Municipal Hospital in Vasai (West) on Sunday. In the absence of isolation chambers in the hospital, an entire ward was arranged to isolate the patient. On Monday, he was discharged from the hospital but was quarantined at home. The diarrhoea had subsided even before he was admitted to the hospital. We monitored his condition throughout the day and there are no symptoms present now. A decision to discharge him was therefore taken, said medical officer Dr Gayatri Jorakh.