Molesters shoot dead 22-year-old woman in Delhi after she fights back

Written by Express news service | New Delhi | Updated: Feb 25 2013, 15:32pm hrs
A couple of months after a 23-year-old paramedic student was brutally gangraped on a moving bus, a woman was shot dead in Delhi by two men on a motorcycle on Sunday for resisting a molestation.

Police said the men got angry after the 22-year-old woman, who was waiting at the Sarai Kale Khan bus stop with her husband, objected to their misbehaviour.

The women, who sustained bullet injuries in the head and abdomen, was rushed to AIIMS Trauma Centre where doctors declared her dead.

The incident occurred on an evening when the Capital was on high-alert, following the Hyderabad bomb blasts and all police stations had been instructed to ensure high-visibility of security personnel.

Police arrested a resident of Abu Fazal Enclave, Mushiram, for the murder. His accomplice is still on the run.

According to police, the woman was at Sarai Kale Khan bus stop around 8.30 pm, when the two men approached her. The men allegedly passed lewd comments and made obscene gestures, asking the woman to accompany them The men asked her to go with them, but she rebuffed them. The woman was with her husband, a police officer said.

When the woman did not respond to their advances, the men rode off, the officer said.

According to police, to move closer to a crowd, the woman started to walk towards a nearby tea stall. She had barely walked a few metres, when the men returned and blocked her way.

One of the men got off the motorcycle and tried to grope her. The woman raised an alarm and fought back. Her husband also entered into a scuffle with the men. This angered the accused, a police officer said.

One of the men took out a pistol and shot her, he said.

The man fired three shots one hit her in the forehead and the other two hit her abdomen.

After firing, the men tried to flee on their motorcycle. Her husband started shouting for help. The passersby came to their rescue and also made a PCR call. The woman was rushed to AIIMS Trauma Centre, where she was declare dead on arrival, police said.

The passers-by managed to nab Mushiram and later handed him over to police.

Rakesh, an eyewitness, said: I was standing metres away and talking on the phone when I heard this man shouting for help. The stretch is poorly lit so things were not visible clearly, though we heard gunshots. We ran to help him and saw the woman lying in a pool of blood. A few people ran to nab the man who was trying to run. We caught him.

A case of murder has been registered and further investigation is underway.


Woman, husband wait at Sarai Kale Khan bus stop at 8.30 pm

Two men on a motorcycle pass comments, ask her to go with them

She rebuffs them, they ride off

She starts walking towards a crowded tea stall nearby

Bikers return, block her way. One of them tires to grope her

Woman shouts for help. She and husband fight the men

One of the bikers takes out a pistol, shoots thrice

She receives three bullet wounds, one in the forehead, two in the abdomen

Bikers flee, husbands shouts for help

Passers-by make PCR call, catch one of the accused

Woman rushed to AIIMS Trauma Centre, declared dead on arrival

Murder case registered

One accused arrested, identified as Mushiram