The meeting called by the labour department, which was slated for Monday afternoon, has now been re-scheduled to April 10 after the Toyota management sought time, said Satish R, general secretary of the employees union. We had written a letter to the labour department on March 24 saying that a lockout situation was continuing because of the conditions set by the management. The meeting was in response to that, said Satish.
He added that the union has withdrawn the indefinite hunger strike it started five days ago. We have decided to go on a relay fast from Tuesday, said Satish. Around nine union members, who were on hunger strike, had been hospitalised on Sunday evening but have since recovered, he added.
Toyota last week said its vehicle production levels were down to half of its installed capacity of 700 vehicles daily and that waiting periods for the cars have increased to 45 days from 25 earlier. The carmaker had also said that nearly 300 union workers had reported back to work after a signing the good conduct undertaking since the company lifted a lock-out on March 24.