* India (366) have recorded their highest fourth innings total against New Zealand in Tests and seventh highest overall.
* The score is India's fourth highest losing total in Tests - their only total of 400 being 445 against Australia at Adelaide in January 1978.
* Neil Wagner (eight for 126) recorded his best bowling figures in a Test match, surpassing the seven for 116 vs Bangladesh at Mirpur in October last year.
* New Zealand's 40-run victory is their first in five Tests against India at Eden Park, Auckland. The said win is their narrowest victory margin in terms of runs against India in Tests, eclipsing the 62-run win at Wellington in February 1981. New Zealand's victory is their 10th in 49 Tests at Eden Park - lost 15 & drawn 24.
* New Zealand have won 10 and lost 18 out of 53 contested against India in Tests - success % 18.86 (Drawn 25). Their tally includes eight wins in New Zealand and two in India.
* After beating West Indies by 63 runs at Kingston in 2011, India are without a victory in their last thirteen overseas Tests.
* India have lost 10 out of the last 11 overseas Tests contested. They have lost 11 Tests away from home under Mahendra Singh Dhoni's leadership out of 22 contested (won five and drawn six) - the most under one skipper, surpassing the 10 Tests each lost under the captaincies of Nawab of Pataudi, Mohammad Azharuddin and Sourav Ganguly.
* New Zealand have beaten India in a Test match for the first time since 2002.
* New Zealand speedsters have captured all twenty wickets in a Test match 12 times.
* Virat Kohli (67) recorded his ninth Test fifty his third vs New Zealand - his highest in the fourth innings.
* Shikhar Dhawan became the second Indian opener to post a century in the fourth innings of an overseas Test. Sunil Gavaskar had registered four, a record. He also became the fourth Indian opener to post a hundred in the fourth innings of a Test match. He joined Gavaskar (four), Mushtaq Ali and Wasim Jaffer.
* Dhawan's 115 is his first century overseas - his second in Tests, next only to the 187 off 174 balls against Australia at Mohali on Test debut in March 2013.
* Dhawan became the first Indian opener to record a hundred in the fourth innings of a Test match in New Zealand.
* Dhawan became the first Indian batsman to record a duck and a hundred in the same Test match against New Zealand.
* Dhawan and Kohli were involved in a stand of 126 - India's highest third-wicket partnership vs New Zealand at Auckland.
* Watling has taken six catches in an innings for the first time in Tests, bettering the five vs West Indies at Hamilton in December last year. He became the first New Zealand wicketkeeper to effect six dismissals in an innings against India in Tests.
* Watling's six dismissals in a Test innings is the second most by a New Zealand wicketkeeper. Ian Smith had held seven catches against Sri Lanka at Hamilton in February 1991.
* Watling became the first wicketkeeper to effect six dismissals in the fourth innings of a Test match.
* Watling's tally of nine dismissals is his best performance in a Test match, eclipsing the eight in the 2013-14 Hamilton Test against the West Indies. He is the first New Zealand wicketkeeper to effect nine dismissals against India in a Test match. Brendon McCullum (vs Pakistan at Napier in December 2009) and Watling now jointly share a New Zealand record for most dismissals (nine) in a Test match.
* Dhoni and Jadeja were associated in a 54-run seventh-wicket partnership off 34 balls. Their run-rate of 9.52 is the highest by an Indian pair vs New Zealand for any wicket in Tests (minimum qualification 50).
* Brendon McCullum has got his third Man of the Match award in Tests - the first two were 143 vs Bangladesh at Dhaka in October 2004 and 225 (a career-best) vs India at Hyderabad in November 2010.