Following are the eights points why Gunday has managed well with box office collections in opening week despite some not-so-flattering reviews from the critics:
* Priyanka Chopra-Ranveer Singh starrer Gunday is doing well at the single-screens, the audiences are relishing the 'naach-gaana', dialogue-baazi, guns and fisticuffs that the film has to offer.
* Ever since the first look promo of Gunday was launched, the film grabbed eye-balls for its unique cast.
* What seemed to have worked is also the fact that Gunday brings back the flavour of the films of the 70s and 80s proved by its exceptional performance at single screens.
* Trade expert Vinod Mirani feels what worked in the films favour, was that it was a solo release.
* Gunday made the most of its combination of two young heroes with growing popularity, popular music and Valentines day release date to take a bumper Friday at the box office collections earning of Rs 16.12 crore, says Mirani.
* Trade expert Taran Adarsh holds a similar opinion as he says that not many would have dared to release a film like Gunday on Valentines day, and thus this film has broken several myths.
* The viewers got a taste of bromance and romance, because of the systematic, but aggressive promotional campaign by the makers of the movie, says Adarsh.
* Although not an overseas-friendly genre, Gunday has fared very well in the international markets.
Gunday's box office collections had levelled out on Saturday with Rs 12.63 crore, rising again on Sunday to Rs 15.18 crore. The first weekend tally of Rs 43.93 crore already qualifies the film as another hit for Yash Raj Films. A substantial chunk of the Gunda's revenue has come in from U.A.E.-G.C.C., followed by U.S.A-Canada. The opening weekend total is approximately $2.16 million [Rs 13.35 crore]," said Adarsh.