Many private economists consider the deficit target optimistic, citing weak tax receipts in a sluggish economy and high federal expenditure commitments.
* Containing inflation, restarting growth and investment cycles and keeping fiscal deficit at acceptable level priorities for govt: FM
* Challenges the country faced when BJP took over were slowdown in decision making and loss of investor confidence: FM
* Election results were a mood-changer: FM.
* Govt taking steps to improve ease of doing business, opening up significant sectors, expedite decision-making while maintaining social sector expenditure in most areas: FM
* No space for retrospective tax legislation: FM
* There is by and large moderation of inflation; manufacturing curve has turned: FM
* We have an ambitious disinvestment plan: FM
* Will discuss with all major political parties to see if some flexibility (slight enlargement of exemptions) can be available under Land Acquisition Bill: FM
* 2.14 crore new accounts opened under Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana: FM
* Food inflation a concern; normally a time when prices of some fruit and vegetable are steep: FM
* I am sure we would be able to move towards some kind of larger consensus with states on GST: FM