Online, mobile video and rich media advertising firm Vdopia today released an infographic called the ultimate multi-screen event and examined the impact of online and mobile devices on fan interaction with the World Cup.
Vdopia finds that fans across APAC and India are following FIFA 2014 on multi-screens TV, mobile phones and laptops. And what is increasingly clear is the dual-screening on television and mobile devices.
Here are some interesting facts:
* Mobile has become the 2nd most preferred medium in APAC after TV with 80% respondents looking to multiscreen TV + Smartphones.
* 2014 FIFA World Cup has been regarded as the most social event ever
* 250,000 Indian Unique Viewers visited football sites everyday via mobile
* Social Buzz volumes remained highest between 8:00 pm-4 am (India).
* India saw one of the highest ever 6.5 mn - online sport audiences in May
* And Vdopia engaged 2 mn (30%) of the total Indian Sports Audience. (May14)
The most significant trend being witnessed here is paradigm shift in consumers video consumption behavior termed 'multi-screen intake' or 'platform agnostic' intake. For instance, a typical consumer watched the match, checks for FIFA updates and shares highlights of his favorite match on mobile, regularly updates Facebook page, and looks up information on tablet or just sends an email all at the same time.
Preetesh Chouhan, VP-APAC, Vdopia Inc. terms this as, My time, my content and my device. That is where todays consumer is moving. TV no longer gets undivided attention as consumers are consuming more and more content on their smart phones and tablets. Multiscreening is here to stay.
Saurabh Bhatia, co-founder, Chief Business Officer, Vdopia Inc puts things in perspective, "If you were to add in the number of people who comment on the games via social media on their mobile devices, fans at the games taking smartphone photos and folks who use apps to gather and watch the games, what emerges is an astronomical number of ways mobile factors into the World Cup games."
The report further draws attention to a very interesting insight 41% FIFA lovers bunked work the next day because they stayed up till late to catch their favorite teams in action.