However, students seeking admission to the undergraduate programme in Delhi University may have to wait for a few more days with a newly-set up panel of principals being asked to devise the modalities for admissions.
Singh issued a statement this afternoon asking principals of various colleges affiliated to the varsity to start admissions for the new session under the three-year format.
The standoff was apparently resolved by a late night strong letter written by the University Grants Commission(UGC) to DU to rollback the four-year undergraduate programme (FYUP) immediately and start admissions.
"In line with the directive of the UGC, the University has decided to roll back the FYUP. Consequently, the admission process shall be conducted under the scheme of courses that were in force in the academic session 2012-13 in all the colleges of the University of Delhi," Singh said.
The decision has put an end to the uncertainty over the admission process for 2014-15 which was triggered due to the row over FYUP between DU and UGC.
Over 2.7 lakh students have applied for admission to more than 54,000 seats in 64 colleges of the varsity.
Singh said DU recognises the need of the hour and it is of "paramount importance" to protect the interests of the students by ensuring the start of the admission process.
"It is expected that the principals of our colleges shall assist in devising and ensuring a speedy completion of the admission process," he said.
For a smooth transition from FYUP to the three-year format, the university constituted a 12-member committee of college principals headed by President of DU's Principals' Association S K Garg.
"We have not fixed a time frame but hopefully we will start the admission process from Tuesday. We had an informal meeting of our principals. We would begin serious deliberations from tomorrow and submit a report to the VC as soon as possible," Garg told PTI.
As the news of the roll back of FYUP came in, celebrations broke out in the campus with students and teachers dancing and bursting fire crackers.
Teachers and student bodies such as Delhi University Teachers' Association (DUTA), ABVP, NSUI, SFI, KYS and others, who had been carrying out a long-drawn-out protest against the four-year course, celebrated their "victory" and thanked the UGC for intervening in the matter.
DUTA President Nandita Narain said it was a victory for the university community who had been fighting for more than a year against the "unacademic and illegal" FYUP.
"We expect that immediate guidelines will be issued to colleges to publish the pre-FYUP courses on their website along with the number of seats per course.
"Emergency Staff Council meetings should be convened at the earliest and cut-offs announced based on past experience without inviting fresh applications," she added.
Officials in the HRD ministry who participated in prolonged meetings during the week to resolve the deadlock looked relaxed and had a free-wheeling interaction with reporters. UGC Chairman Ved Prakash was taken ill because of "exhaustion".
But for some uncertainity and confusion continued.
Students enrolled in the four-year B.Tech courses staged a protest outside the UGC office here demanding that their course should not be changed to a three-year programme.