* Every attempt has been made to make all figures comparable and compatible with our definitions. All the related data are taken from the respective consolidated and standalone balance sheets only.
* Eleven companies changed their accounting period during 2009-10. They are 3M India, Essel Propack, Eicher Motors, Garden Silk Mills, Ispat Industries, Jindal Saw , JK Tyres & Industries, Mphasis, Sakthi Sugars, Sujana Towers and Wockhardt.
* Wherever accounting periods have been less or more than 12 months, sales, operating profit, gross profits, PBT, PAT, and retained profit figures have been annualised. The only exception from this general rule is net worth and assets.
* Some big companies could not be included in the study because balance sheets and profit and loss accounts were not available for two years. These companies are: Lakshmi Energy & Foods, Dishman Pharma, NIIT Tech, Mahindra Satyam, Hinduja Global, D B Realty and Core Projects.
* Some companies changed their names during the year. These are, with the new names in brackets: Coromandel Fertilisers (Coromandel International), Welspun Guj.Stahl Rohern (Welspun Corporation), Dalmia Cement Bharat (Dalmia Bharat Sugar and Industries), Dhunseri Tea & Industries (Dhunseri Petrochem & Tea Industries), JSL Ltd (JSL Stainless), Savita Chemicals (Savita Oil Technologies), Spice Mobile (Spice Mobility), Subhash Projects & Marketing (SPML Infra ). ICI Ltd ( Akzo Noble) and Tata Tea (Tata Global Beverages).
* Industry-wise groupings, have been done on the basis of the standard industrial clasification of all economic activities adopted by the Government of India. A company with more than one activity is classified within that industry from which it derives more than a half of its sales or main income.
* Mergers and acquisitions have also become major factors in corporate growth during 2009-10. Some companies amalgamated with others during the year. These are, with names in brackets: BASF India (Ciba India, Ciba Research (I) and Diamond Dye-Chem), Gammon India (Associated Transrail Structures), Reliance Industries (Reliance Petroleum), United Spirits (Shaw Wallace & Co, Primo Distributors, Balaji Distilleries), Jaiprakash Associates (Jaypee Hotels, Gujarat Anjan Cements, Jaypee Cement), MIRC Electronics (Guviso Holdings), Zee Entertainment Enterprises (Zee News), Prism Cement ( H & R Johnson India, RMC Readymix India), Emami ( Zandu Pharmaceutical Works), Mindtree (Aztecsoft Ltd), Godrej Consumer Products (Godrej Consumer Biz Pvt Ltd.), Idea Cellular (Spice Communications), HT Media ( HT Music & Entertainment Co.).
* Some big companies could not be included due to lower sales during 2009-10 but was in the list of FE 500 during 2008-09. These are Dredging Corporation, Indian Metals & Ferro Alloys, Sarda Energy, West Coast Paper, Walchandnagar Industries, Novartis (I), A P Paper, Nitco, Titagarh Wagons, Ashapura Minechem, Tata Sponge Iron, Voltamp Transformers, KSB Pumps, Alps Industries, Agro Tech Foods, Automotive Axles, Gujarat Sidhee Cement, Mangalam Cement, Paper Products, Balasore Alloys, Indian Hume Pipe Co., Oudh Sugar Mills, INEOS ABS (I), Bharat Bijlee, Garware Polyester, Sree Rayalaseema Alkali & Allied Chem., Valecha Engg., Renaissance Jewellery, Nagarjuna Agrichem, Hindustan Motors, Hind Organic Chem., Excel Crop Care,Visaka Industries, Universal Cables, IG Petrochemicals, Deepak Nitrite, Salora International, Flawless Diamonds, Tulsyan NEC and Kriti Industries.
* Some companies abridged balance sheets are considered. These are Balrampur Chini, Deepak Fertilisers, Essar Shipping Port & Logistics, Gati, Gujarat NRE Coke, JK Cement, Kirloskar Electric, Lanco Infratech, Mundra Port, Polaris Software Lab., Punj Lloyd, Rolta , Reliance Communications, Reliance Infrastructure, Infosys Technologies and Wipro.
* Market capitalisation figures are calculated on the basis of Bombay Stock Exchange ( BSE ) quotations and for some companies National Stock Exchange (NSE) quotations are considered. Some companies are delisted from the stock exchanges or not quoted during last one year ,so we have not considered those companies for our study.
* Companies which are delisted or not quoted for long are Micro Inks, Balaji Distilleries, Bosch Chassis Sys (I), Bongaigaon Refinery, Cadbury India (I), Essar Steel, iGate Global Solutions, Liberty Oil, Matrix Laboratories, Spice Communications, Modern Syntex, Otis Elevators, Philips Electronics, Rain Calcining, Sandvik Asia, Sai Service Station, Southern Iron & Steel Co., Syngenta Inds, South Asian Petrochem and Usha International.
* Some companies changed their face value during the year. These are, with the new face value in brackets: Allcargo Global Logistics ( Rs 2), Bharti Airtel ( Rs 5 ), Bajaj Electricals ( Rs 2), Consolidated Const. Cons. (Rs 2),GMR Infrastructure ( Rs 1), Gokul Refoils & Solvent (Rs 2), Hind National Glass & Industries (Rs 2), HBL Power Systems (Rs 1), Ipca Laboratories (Rs 2), Jindal Saw ( Rs 2), KRBL ( Rs 1), KSL & Industries ( Rs 4), Kwality Dairy ( Rs 1), Kalyani Steels ( Rs 5), Lanco Infratech (Rs 1) and Mahindra & Mahindra (Rs 5).
* Fourty six companies have entered in the list of FE500 first time in 2009-10. Mention may be made of Andhra Sugar, Bayer Crop, Bilcare, BOC India, C & C Constructions, Denso India , Dhampur Sugar, Educomp Solutions, Gabriel (I), GSPL , Hind Dorr Oliver, Jai Bharat Maruti , JSW Energy, K.P.R Mill , Kirloskar Electric , Kohinoor Foods, Maytas Infra , Parker Agrochem , Polaris Software, Ramky Infra, REI Agro, Shiv Vani Oil , SJVN, Spentex Industries, Sterling Bio , Suashish Diamond, Sundaram Clayton, Tecpro Systems, Temptation Food, Time Techno, Trent, TRF, TVS Srichakra, VIP Industries and Vascon Energy.
* Some companies one year consolidated figures are available. For those companies we have considered standalone figures. Companies are Ceat, Heg, Jayaswal Neco Industries, JK Paper, K.P.R Mills, Madhucon Projects, Philips Carbon Black, Pennar Industries, Surya Pharma and Ushdev International. Three hundred seventy three consolidated and one hundred twenty seven standalone balance sheet and profit & loss figures are considered for the study.
* Some ten companies quoted first time in the market during 2009-10. They are Coal India, SJVN, IL &FS Transportation Networks, MOIL, Ramky Infrastructure, Shree Ganesh Jewellery, Tecpro Systems,Vascon Engeneers,ARSS Infrastructure Projects and Kirliskar Electric.
* Composite ranks have been arrived at by averaging ranks of sales, assets, net worth & M-Cap for the years 2009-10 & 2008-09. Consolidated M-Cap figures are relate to January 31, 2011 and January 29, 2010.