Gluten is a protein in wheat, oats, barley and rye (European cereal), which is a known cause of celiac disease a condition in which gluten damages the intestines and reduces its ability to absorb food.
Here are the sensitivity and symptoms:
* Gluten is a protein found in wheat, oats, barley and rye
* Non-celiac gluten sensitivity is when you dont have celiac disease (also results from gluten sensitivity) or wheat allergy, but are sensitive to gluten
* Symptoms are by irritable bowel syndrome-like symptoms stomach ache, bloating, diarrhoea, constipation, hyperacidity and other non-gastrointestinal symptoms such as fatigue, lethargy, attention deficit, headache, joint and muscle pain, cramps, leg or arm numbness, imbalance, dermatitis
* Non-celiac gluten sensitivity is often not acknowledged by doctors, patients go untreated
* At times, many are diagnosis with mental illness
Gluten sensitivity is six times more prevalent than celiac disease. Has clinically been recognised as less severe than celiac disease
* Gluten sensitivity runs in families and is commonly present is relatives and family members of an individual with celiac disease.